Chapter 16

procrastination is key;

Friends aren't supposed to tell secrets.

Go and work things out.

Lachlan's words rung in his mind, and those were the words he repeated to himself as he attempted to muster up the courage to hold a conversation with the one person who leaked his secret to the world.

It's not that simple!, he wanted to say. The first part is only half the problem.

So he decided that today he would take a risk. He would tell Harry about the second part of the problem, which could either single-handedly destroy his life or spark new flames in it.

Harry was coming over to the house today, which was a rare sight to see. Neither of the two Cals were coming, however; they each had their own events to attend to. So, it would just be the Sidemen House residents and Harry, filming a couple challenge videos for their channels.

--

After all five challenge videos were recorded, Harry decided to hang around for a bit longer before heading back home, so Vik saw this as an opportunity to confront him.

"Harry?" Vik's voice rang out, calling tentatively.

At the sound of a voice, Harry turned around. "Hm? Oh, Vik. You need something?"

"Yes." Vik took a deep breath. "So you know how I said I was gay and that you couldn't tell anyone?"

Harry frowned, seeming to realize where this was going. "Yeah?"

"Well-" he began, but was cut off by the younger boy.

"Look, Vik, I know I wasn't supposed to say anything but it was for a forfeit for a video I was filming. I had to say someone else's secret on Twitter for the punishment, but I didn't really mean it and I'm sorry."

Vik thought this over for a moment. "Yeah, I know it might not've been on purpose, but did you have any idea how this affected me?" He sighed. "Whatever. That wasn't really what I wanted to talk to you about... I mean, it was part of it, but it wasn't the real reason."

"Then what was the real reason? And why didn't you just text me or something, instead of waiting until we see each other in real life?" Harry questioned.

"Erm... I have something else to tell you," Vik said.

"Well, what is it?" Harry asked impatiently.

"I'm in love with you."

A pause.

"What?" Harry asked, the features of an awkward smile beginning to form on his face. "This- this is a joke, right? I mean, I knew you were gay and everything but I just never -" He cut himself off, rapidly shaking his head all the while. "Uhh... Are you sure this isn't a prank?" (if someone comments its just a prank bro i will literally murder you so pls dont)

"I- No. It's not."

Harry sighed deeply, before holding his hands up to his head. "Oh, shit. Fuck, fuck, fuck." He began to pace in circles, muttering to himself. "Fuck, man! What am I supposed to do?"

Vik regarded him warily, slightly confused by this outburst of a reaction.

Finally, after regaining his composure, Harry stopped and turned to face Vik. "Okay, right. Uh, look - I'm sorry for this, but... I'm straight?" He cringed at this word, as if afraid to hurt Vik. "I don't want to hurt you- we can still be friends, right?" 

"Uh- yeah." Vik's heart felt heavy, but he managed to not let it show on his face.

Harry gave a meek smile. "Okay... Well I gotta go now, talk to you later?"

Vik returned his smile with a weak one of his own. "Yeah."

But he wasn't sure he believed it.

Once the younger boy had vanished from sight, Vik let out a long sigh and sat on the stairstep closest to him. Holding his head in his hands, he began to reconsider everything that had just happened.

Why?