Something in the Mist

©2016, Olan L. Smith

"Mr. Wizard...I don't want to bother you, but your quantum soup is boiling."

The Conjurer replies, "Oh, thank you son; you don't mind me calling you son. Do you? Troops, about face!" And the quanta souls obey slowing down their measure to a simmering. "Now, that's better. We wouldn't what a supernova blowing up in our faces; now would we? What do you want, besides interrupting my brewing? Oh, let me guess, you have another question, fire away."

"Father, I was thinking? Why is it we can't see the quanta?"

The Essence replies, "You told me it was boiling over, what made you think it was boiling at all?"

"Well, it's hot in here, and you are standing at the cauldron brewing."

"Go ahead, son, preparing what?"

"You're brewing something in the mist that I am unable to see."

"You can't see it, but you did feel it? The quanta warming up. You are feeling me brewing you, stirring you, and you feel the heat. So son, what does that say to you?"

"I don't understand, Master. What does the quanta have to do with me?"

"Oh my son, are you that dense. I have to spell it out for you? You are the quanta. Everything you see is made of quanta, and the finest essence of energy is your composition. You are simmering; become aware. Everything you see is the soup simmering, boiling, and exploding. You think you are something other than the quanta, and you believe that quanta is down there somewhere out of sight. The entire multiverse is quanta."

"Before, you said we were nothingness."

"Did I? I said that no smallest particle exists, and that reality is in your mind. However, you're trying to make sense of building blocks, atoms, particles, quarks, and bosons..., but all this is a phantom of my stirring your thoughts; wisps in the shadow. You will never find the smallest construction block, you will not find the membrane; you are though; consider this, if an illusion thinks it exists, does it? I hope you see the humor in this inquiry; does the thought make the illusion real, or does the illusion make the thought? I hope you see the humor in all this inquiry; the Quanta becomes aware; it digs holes in the quanta, shoots quantum particles at quanta, so they collide, only to say, 'Eureka; I discovered myself smashed all around. You can't find an illusion by uncovering the smallest bits of the illusion, son. You have to sit in a dark cave and watch the shadows on the wall."