Chapter 27

sorry this is so short! i'll tell you at the end why haha. Enjoy Everyone! Please leave comments too! it really means a lot to me when i read your comments. I care more about hearing feedback then the votes. :) Love you all!

"Are you even listening to me?" Jake asks from behind me. Currently I'm sitting on the steps outside of school, waiting for my brother to pick me up.

"Yes," I grumble. "Listen. We were both being idiots and I'm sorry for getting all in your face. Let's leave it at that,"

"Fine," He mumbles and sits next to me. I look at him before sighing loudly. His brown hair is a mess and it appears as if he's run his hand through it a thousand times today. "I uh wanted to ask you something," He looks uncomfortable and runs his hand through his dark hair, only further proving my point.

"What?" I say plainly. I rest my chin on my hand and lean against the steps railing. I scan the parking lot a few times, hoping Nick will be here soon.

"You can't look even the least bit interested?" Jake says. I turn and see he's just joking and I smile slightly.

"Sorry, bad day." I turn my full attention to him and notice he looks nervous. I don't think I've ever seen him nervous before and I laugh into my hand. He glares at me. "What? You're cute when you're nervous," I can't believe I say it when the words leave my mouth and my own face heats up in embarrassment. He gives me a smug smile and I hit his arm playfully.

"Well Anyways...I was wondering if uh you'd like to go out on a date. With me? Like a proper date? Not a party date," Jake says and I stare at him shocked.

"What?" I ask although I heard him perfectly clear. "You want to.." I trail off. He nods slowly. "I-I uh sure," I fumble through my words. This was definitely the last thing I expected him to say. I smile though and he smiles too then clears his throat.

"Great. I'll text you later on plans and stuff I guess," Jake says but doesn't leave, instead opts to sit next to me and wait with me. I try my best to hide my happiness, and Jake looks relived. I wonder how long he had been planning this? Sadly, it's not long before Nick comes and I wave goodbye to Jake before climbing in the car. I didn't miss the full smile on Jake's face, and his dimples showing. I let go of the smile I had been hiding as well. Nick drives off and I try to hide it but obviously that plan fails miserably.

"I forgot to ask you about him," Nick says gruffly.

"Who?" I twiddle my thumbs and play dumb, grinning to myself.

"I'm not an idiot Mags. His name's Jake right? Are you guys together or what?" He doesn't sound angry but maybe a bit annoyed. He probably assumes we are together and I didn't tell him.

"Err no. Actually he just asked me out on our first date while waiting for you," I say blushing. I feel weird talking about this to my brother.

"Oh okay," He says, seemingly equally embarrassed. "Just don't let him hurt you okay? I know with everything about Ethan-"

"No, please don't talk about him," I cringe and close my eyes trying to rid my guilt. I rest my head against the window. I don't want to feel guilty. My hand reaches up to where I had wore Ethan's necklace for the longest time, but lately the piece of jewelry has remained on my dresser. My heart clenches slightly. I had been able to go the longest time without constantly worrying about them.

"Maggie," Nick sighs loudly. "You know you'll have to talk eventually. What about the memorial in Florida in a few months? Mom told me you were going to go and speak." I look towards Nick. I know he only has the best interests for me, but he's being a bit pushy at the moment.