Chapter 8

Sorry it took me so long to get this up. Enjoy! :)

I don't know what I was expecting, but it definitely wasn't this. His house is gorgeous. I can tell that nobody else is home right now. I don't know if that is relieving or not. Jake leads me right upstairs. I'm guessing we're going to his room. That makes me nervous. I fidget and play with the strap of my backpack as we enter his room. It's pretty simple and plain. The walls are a creamy white, and his bedspread is black. The room is also surprisingly clean. He sits down on his bed and pats the spot next to him. I shuffle my feet over and sit down at the very edge of the bed.

"You're not nervous are you Maggie?" Jake asks with a cheeky grin. I shake my head fast and then blush. I groan and Jake laughs as I cover my face with my hands. He takes out the book and we get to work.

An hour later I am exhausted, and my mind is spinning. I push the book away from me and it falls to the floor with a thud. Then I take out my phone and send another text to Nick telling him we're done. Surprisingly Jake didn't joke around once we started working. We actually finished the project.

I pack away my things, and Jake stares at me. He is now laying on the bed the short way so his feet are hanging off the one side.

"Are we finally done?" He groans out and I nod. I sling my back pack over my shoulder. "I'll drive you home," He says when I start towards the door to his room.

"You don't have to, I can just ask my brother."

"Nah, it will just be easier for me to drive you home. I dragged you here anyways." He gets up off the bed, and grabs a jacket.

As we get to the truck parked outside I notice a fancy black car pull in the driveway. Jake swears under his breath and Quickly opens the passenger door for me. I notice that Jake is watching the car as it is now parked. His jaw is tense, and I wish that I could see inside those tinted windows. It's obvious Jake doesn't want to stay for when those people get out of the car, and as soon as I'm in he slams the door and hops in the driver seat. He turns on the truck and pulls out of the driveway just before I can get a good look at the man and woman that got out of the mysterious car. I look at Jake, but decide not to press him as I take in his white knuckles from gripping the steering wheel so hard. He runs a hand through his messy dark hair, and I turn to stare out the window. A few seconds later I hear the radio turn on to fill up the silence. It's obvious he is trying to avoid questions. I'm fine with that. If he doesn't want to tell me something then I don't care. It's not like I would ever tell him about my old school.

After about fifteen minutes we thankfully arrive at my house. I mutter a thanks and head straight upstairs to my room. I collapse on my bed and let my nightmares take over.

I'm in the bathroom again. I can hear the gunshots, and screams through the walls and through the doors. I huddle down in the stall all alone and squeeze my eyes shut praying for my friends to be okay. That's when the worst part happens, the silence. It surrounds me and I choke back a sob. This can't be happening I say to myself. I look up when the door to the bathroom opens. I hear the familiar squeak of the stalls as they are opened one by one, and I can't breathe. Then it's my turn, and instead of the man from the swat team that had found me. It is the gunman who opens the stall door.

I wake up with tears in my eyes, and I wipe them away angrily. Flashes of that day and of me hiding in that bathroom stall flash in front of my eyes. My breath is coming out fast and strangled. There have been times I fainted from my flashbacks.

I wait a few minutes, and I start to calm down. I realize I probably won't get back to sleep again anytime soon, and I look at the clock groaning when I see the time. 1:30 guess I'm not getting a lot of sleep tonight.