Going Somewhere?

The night was cool and damp, but I was pleasantly warm, as the moonlight gave ample light through the windows, the sheer white curtains unable to hinder it's intensity tonight. Laury's house was a three bedroom home, so Kent and Mom volunteered to share a room with me, while Jean and Logan would share the other. I was currently sandwiched in between them, Kent's arm draped over me while Mom was cuddled close, her steady breath on my cheek. I knew that they were worried about me - Kent because he feared what I was capable of, and Mom because of what she'd witnessed. It surprised me that Mom was even speaking to me, after all I'd put her through, but I didn't question it. I didn't want to.  I looked over at her sleeping face. Tired dark circles under her eyes seemed deeper under the shadows the moon cast, and she seemed more aged since I last saw her. The youthful face I'd always admired faded long ago with Dad's betrayal. I was just too stubborn in my defense of him to realize how much pain this must have caused her. Dad caused us all pain. 

I turned my gaze over to Kent. My brother. It was hard to believe I had made us drift apart so much. We used to be joined at the hip as kids. He was my protector - and sometimes tormentor, as big brothers usually were, but then again I gave it right back - and I looked up to him. Now I was just glad to have him speaking to me again.  I let out a long sigh. They'd be angry with me again. No matter how much they would understand, they'd be angry. But Victor was in danger and I couldn't just leave this alone. I've had my day of peace. Now it was time to raise hell. 

"I'm sorry," I whispered to them both, "I have to leave for just a little longer."

I carefully lifted Kent's arm from me, settling it down next to me as I slipped underneath the covers and carefully slid my way to the end of the bed. Careful not to jostle them too much, I slid off the end of the bed and into the floor, turning my gaze to see if I'd woken them. They simply shifted positions and stayed sound asleep. I let out a breath of relief. I stood up, brushing myself off as I headed over to the backpack that Logan had gone to grab for me from Victor's house. I picked up my leather jacket which he'd so kindly grabbed for me, and pushed open the door as I swung my backpack up onto my shoulder. I would change clothes once I got far enough away to stop at a hotel - at the moment I was in Victor's T-shirt and a pair of yoga pants. 

I sighed as my thoughts rested on Logan. He'd attempt to come after me, if I knew anything about those brothers. Logan had been quiet all day, his thoughts probably on too many things to be able to concentrate on anything else. My goodbye with him was more painful than with the others, as I knew that even if I did come back our relationship wouldn't be the same. He couldn't see me as less than a lover and I couldn't let myself see him as more than a dear friend. I shook my head as I walked down the hall, careful not to make any noise with my bare feet. I was tip toeing and humming the mission impossible theme under my breath, which caught in my throat as my toes pressed down on an extra squeaky board in the floor. I winced as picking my foot up only made it creak more, and froze in place as I listened for any noise at all.

None. Excellent. 

I carried on into the kitchen, where my new phone sat with my wallet. I picked it up, shifting the backpack on my shoulder as the light illuminated the area around me, as I searched for the number I kept in my contacts list for things like this. The taxi service. It was always a nice contact to have.

I was just about to hit the call button when the light flipped on. I jumped, my phone flying from my hand before I reached out and caught it with both, whirling to find out who it was. Logan leaned in the doorway of the kitchen, shorts hanging low on his hips as his shirt was messily rumpled, though he didn't look as though he'd been sleeping, as his alert blue eyes stared at me, eyebrow raised. 

"Going somewhere?"

His voice was rough, and frighteningly sexy--I meant angry. I held my phone to my chest, where my heart attempted to escape from, and then smiled and laughed.