CHAPTER TEN

CHAPTER TEN | WHAT HURTS MOST

10 COMMENTS THAT DO NOT SAY "UPDATE"

"Niklaus, whatever you have to say to me does not make up for you leaving me with our sister...alone," Arabella teased through the phone.

"Well, you did leave us for a good century or two," Klaus said back.

"Touché," Arabella said. "How is lovely Portland? Keeping it weird?"

"Portland is fantastic," Klaus remarked. "Once you get over all the whiny music and healthy looking people it is literally a breading ground for werewolves."

"Brilliant. Here's Stefan," Arabella said, handing the phone to the younger vampire.

"Your father is dead," Stefan stated.

"What did you say to me?" Klaus questioned over the phone.

"Oh, my mistake. Not your actual father and not dead. Mikael. Daggered," Stefan said to him. "What do you want me to do with the body?"

"Well, first I want you to explain to me exactly what happened."

One hour earlier

Arabella, Stefan, Damon, Elena, and Rebekah sat around the Salvatore Boarding House, devising a plan to get Klaus back and take revenge.

"Let's say that Mikael followed Elena in here. He tried to grab her, so he could use her as bait," Stefan suggested.

"And you what? Vervained him?" Elena questioned.

"No, we vervained him!" Damon said. "This guy is an Original. To make it realistic."

"Okay, fine. We vervained him, and in the process discovered that he had a dagger," Stefan said.

"Which he planned to use on Rebekah, but instead—"

"—We drove it through his heart," Stefan finished for Elena.

"And what happens when he asks to see Mikael's body?" Arabella questioned with a raised eyebrow. "I know my brother well enough that he will certainly want proof."

"Good point!" Damon exclaimed, turning to his sibling. "You my brother have been compelled to do what Klaus says. So the idea is to lure him back here and kill him...last thing we need is you getting tripped up and tongue-tied."

"Well, don't look at me," Stefan said with his hands up. "I am just in charge of getting him back here."

"Klaus is smart," Arabella stated. "If we tell him Mikael is dead, he'll want proof."

"Then I shall be dead," a voice declared.

Arabella looked over at him, automatically tensing at his voice and presence. She brought her knees up to her chest, glaring at Mikael as he walked into the parlor.

Everyone seemed to recognize Arabella's hatred towards her father, it was subtle, but still present. They tried to ignore it, though; focusing on the task at hand.

"What if he wants to see you in person?" Elena questioned.

"Well that means our plan is working. Klaus will absolutely want to see my body. You will lure him here, and I will kill him," Mikael explained to them.

"With what?" Stefan asked. "Those daggers won't work on him."

"Well, I'm in possession of a stake fashioned from the wood of the ancient white oak tree. The one that left these ashes when it burned," Mikael replied. His eyes landed on Arabella, noting the harsh glare he was receiving.