First time for everything

Start from the beginning

The Vampire Prince kept laughing. He slapped his knee. I smirked. I pushed down on the emergency button and dialed 9-1-1. The response was fast.

"9-1-1," said the man. "What's your emergency?"

The Vampire Prince froze at the sound.

"My name is Rin Borek," I told him. "I'm here to report the Vampire Prince for breaking into my home and attacking me."

The Vampire Prince's eyes bulged out of his head. In a split second, he cut through the space between us and slammed his hand against mine. The force drove the cell phone out of my hand and into the far wall where is cracked. I cried out dropping to my knees. I cuddled my hand against my chest. Tears streamed down my face unchecked. The pain was tearing at my hand.

"What the heck was that for, you bitch?" he asked me.

I closed my eyes gritting my teeth. I wouldn't sob. I wouldn't make a noise. A hand grabbed a fist full of hair and yanked my head back. I cried out and came face-to-face with the Vampire Prince. His eyes were smoldering like hot coals. His fangs had come out. He gave my head a shake.

"Answer me," he growled.

Through the tears and pain, I glared at him.

"Let go of me," I hissed. "The police are on their way."

The Vampire Prince smirked. "You're one surprise after another," he said. "But you still haven't answered my question."

I grabbed his hand with both of mine trying to pry him off but no avail. There was little I could do against him. I didn't think he would kill me but he could maim me for life in less than two seconds.

"You owe me a new phone," I said through gritted teeth. 

The Vampire Prince cocked his head to one side. I listened closely. Were they -

"Sirens," I whispered. I looked him in the eye. "I told you the police were coming."

His eyes narrowed at me. "I'm not afraid of your law enforcement," he said, "Like they could ever hurt me."

"That's right," I sneered. "You can always hide behind your father like you always do."

It felt like the Vampire Prince almost ripped my head off. The skin of my throat stretched. Tears squeezed out of my eyes. I managed to smirk.

"Truth hurt, doesn't it?" I managed to ask. "You better run along before they find you. I bet the politicians would just be thrilled to put you under house arrest permanently."

"You think you're so smart," the Vampire Prince said lowering his head to mine. "Do you honestly believe some blood bags will be of threat to me? You are nothing but dirt underneath me."

I swallowed. I hated to admit it but he was right. There wasn't a single human who would be able to harm him. If he wanted to, he could kill me and the cops. Yet, I couldn't just sit here and let him think he was invincible. He was immortal, yes but not invincible.

"We may be dirt," I told him, "but you still need us. Not every vampire is strong enough to walk out in the sunlight. If you got rid of humans, there will be no donors and your kind will be reduced to drinking from pigs."

I hissed as his grip tightened on my hair. There was bound to be a bald spot there. But I continued.

"Synthetic blood or not," I said. "You have to learn how to make it, right? What are the odds that humans make that blood?"

The smirk on the Vampire Prince never left his face.

"You humans live in a world of illusions," he told me. "We don't have to get rid of you. No." He shook his head. "All I have to do is kill a few thousand people and then every single one of you will drop to their knees in front of me."

I tried leaning back as he moved closer to my face. My teeth were clenched tightly together. My heart had all but ripped out of my chest. His cold lips brushed my cheek. Heat exploded from the contact.

"After all," he whispered in my ear. "Every single human is doing nothing more but waiting to die."

There was loud knock on the front door.

"OPEN UP!" came the order.

A few moments later, heavy footsteps pounded into the house. The Vampire Prince released me and stepped back. My scalp pounded non-stop.

"Don't forget, little pig," he said. "You're nothing but walking snacks."

The footsteps were getting louder and louder. He shoved me away and into the wall. My shoulder exploded in pain. I grunted and fell on my side. I lay on the floor breathing heavily. Doors were opened, "clear" echoed through the house and finally my door opened.

"Ma'am," came a voice.

I looked up and saw a police officer.

"Are you hurt?" he asked.

"Yeah," I mumbled.

The police officer helped me up. I glanced around the room. The Vampire Prince was gone.

~*~

The Vampire Prince balanced on the balls of his feet as he stood on the wooden fence across the house. His eyes were dark and his expression cold. No one had ever refused him. Ever.

He smirked. It was strange someone like her existed. She had a strong will not many humans possessed. Maybe this one wouldn't be such a bore after all.