Eli: Golfing/Just the Highlights (192)

Since Nora and her family were reconciled, we were all invited to the extended family's summer vacation to spend time with them. So we gathered up our own suitcases and three suitcases for Ava (for such a little thing she had a lot of stuff) and drove up to Nantucket for two weeks. Her family had had a timeshare on houses there for years and we were going to share one of them with Nora's cousin, Jake.

On the vacation everyone fell into groups. Nora went off with all her female relatives to shop and catch up on all the gossip and I was stuck with all the men on a golf course. Ava was left with all the other small children and some of the older nieces and nephews to play to her heart's content. It was meant well but I didn't really get why everyone separated. I would much rather spend time listening to the gossip instead of golfing. I knew how to but none of these guys seemed to relate to me very much. They liked me fine but we didn't have much in common.

Some of the younger guys, the cousins and nephews that had just been let into the men's section, seemed to take too much entertainment in my pain. The first day I was one of them, drinking beers and driving the golf cart, but the next I was put into a group with my father-in-law. He wasn't the friendliest of men and wasn't too interested in making small talk. He just wanted to golf and drink and ignore me and my being there was not working for him. He didn't even try to hide it.

    "So what is your favorite thing about golf?"

    "The quiet."

    "That's nice."

    "But it usually works better when it's actually quiet."

    "Right. Sorry."

    "Uh huh."

    "..."

    "..."

    "What club should I use here?"

    "Whichever one you can hit best."

    "That's a little vague, don't you think?"

    "..."

    "Sorry, I was just joking."

    "I understand that."

    "I'll just shut up now."

    "Good idea."

~~~

OH MY GOD JTH REACHED 1M READS THIS MORNING. I'M SO EXCITED AND I LOVE YOU ALL.