Julie: Sophomore Year/Just the Highlights (30)

Sophomore year was a long year. Sophomore year in general is sort of awful, actually. You're no longer a freshman and you lose that innocence (and the slack people give) but you're not an upperclassman yet (I'll get to junior year later) so it's pretty much guaranteed that your year is going to suck.

Maybe I shouldn't say that. My year didn't suck, that's too harsh of a word for it. I went to football games, I went to basketball games (has anyone noticed that most important high school experiences take place less than fifty yards from teenaged boys playing with some kind of ball?), I went to homecoming, etcetera, etcetera, etcetera. The rest just kind of sucked.

Take homework for example. At this point I was only taking one AP class, AP World History, affectionately called just AP World. The teacher sucked, and I understand the harshness of the word. I easily failed the AP test and my mom made me pay her back, which also sucked. You get the picture, there was a lot of sucky things.

But it was an important year. Was it simply a sort of preview for junior year (which also sucked)? Yes. But because of that, it was important.

 But because of that, it was important

"Hey Masters."

"Nichols."

"What's with teachers and seating charts? Like how will it improve our education by sitting next to people with last names that our near ours in the alphabet?"

"I have no clue. But what I do know is that personally my education will be improved by sitting by you."

"How so?"

"Because with you next to me, I can do anything."

"Excuse me?"

"You heard me."

"I don't think I understand you."

"Because I can look at your answers. Like look on your homework and tests and stuff."

"Oh. Okay I get it."

"Did you think I meant something else?"

"No I think I just had a mini-stroke or something."

"Did you think I meant..."

"What? No!"

"Okay then..."

"I didn't think that."

"Or so you say."

"Don't look at me like that."

"I'm not looking at you like anything."

"Just don't look at me."

"All right."

"Stop."

"Whatever you say, honey."

"Don't call me honey."

"Of course, sweetie."

"No."

"All right, babe."

"Hell no."

"I'll do whatever you ask, sweet pea."

"..."

"What? No 'fuck no'?" I figured that was what was next."

"..."

"Jules?"

"I kind of like it."

"Like what?"

"Sweet pea."

"The term of endearment or me using that term of endearment?"

"Either."

"Sounds good, sweet pea."

"You're never going to let me live this down."

"Never."