Julie: Feeling Pretty/Just the Highlights (54)

I never really understood getting all dressed up, especially just to go to school. But junior year, I made an exception. Prom seemed like an important event, worthy of my time and effort. So for one night, I did my best to be like everybody else.

First, the dress. Following my friend's suggestion, I went to a little boutique that was in a nearby shopping center. The ladies who worked there were very nice. Bossy, but nice. They had me out the door with orders to come back two days later to pick up my hemmed dress within the hour.

Then, the hair. I spent weeks going through Google images and finding the perfect hairstyle, choosing one that was half up and half down. I went to a friend's mom that worked at a salon and she did it, adding a few curls in the process. Then once I had my makeup done and my dress on, I felt pretty great.

But I'm sure you're wondering, "was it all she thought it would be?" Well no, because these things never are. Actually, at first, it sucked. I had gone with a friend in a group of couples and I swear I was the most sane one in the group.

And when we got there, I really didn't want to dance too much, I just wanted to hang out with my friends who also weren't dancing but my date kept pestering me. And when he wasn't bothering me, he was acting like he was five years old. I felt more like a baby sitter than a date. There was a point where I was saddened at the thought of how much work I had put in, the work that was all for nothing.

But, somehow, in the end, the overall event was pretty awesome. About halfway through the night, things sort of turned around. I'll go into more details about what happened exactly that later.

 I'll go into more details about what happened exactly that later

"If I ask you an honest question, will you answer me honestly?"

"Yeah, I guess."

"Are you asking Jaclyn to prom at the basketball game next week?"

"How do you know?"

"The rumor mill."

"Really?"

"No."

"Then who told you?"

"Jaclyn."

"Jaclyn did?"

"Kristy told her."

"Ugh."

"You should've predicted that Kristy would tell."

"Very true."

"Are you sure?"

"Am I sure about what?"

"About asking Jaclyn to prom. Are you sure it's the right choice?"

"I think it is. She's pretty and likes me. I would like to hang out with her while we're all dressed up and looking hot. Why wouldn't I ask her?"

"She doesn't seem like your type."

"Then what is my type?"

"I don't know... Just someone more mellow, someone that doesn't think you can do no wrong, someone who balances you out."

"What if I want someone who thinks I can do no wrong?"

"Believe me, you don't. It'll get old eventually. If you need a self esteem boost then go to your mom."

"Wow, tell me what you really think."

"I just think this might be a mistake."

"Thank you for your concern but I think it'll be fine."

"Okay, if you're sure."

"But hey, if I'm wrong I'll buy you a churro or something, okay?"

~~~

What did you guys think of the update? What's your opinion about Eli asking Jaclyn? And who are you liking more so far: Eli or Julie?