Eli: Always Meddling/Just the Highlights (64)

A friend is not a true friend if they don't constantly mess with your life. My friends, Julie's friends by extension, were no exception.

After prom and the so-called "Dancing Incident" (as they liked to call it), they were in full force. I had never seen them this way before, it was like puberty gave them more meddling energy or something. I could never figure out what their actual end game was but I knew enough to head the other way whenever I saw one of them with Julie. The whole thing was just too dangerous.

I'm sure many of you are thinking: "why didn't he just grow some balls and tell them to fuck off? What, he couldn't just say 'no, I can get my own dates.'" Why? I'll tell you why.

I didn't want to say no.

Don't get all excited on me. This isn't the part where I realize my feelings for Julie and confess them to her and we live happily ever after. This also isn't the part where I tell you if Julie and I live happily ever after at all. It was a crush, that was it. I blame prom.

Oh prom. Prom, prom, prom. You put a bunch of teenagers in a room, dressed to the nines, and play loud music and allow them to dance very close together, crushes (more like lust, actually) are bound to happen.

That's all it was, something between a crush and lust. What it was closer to I will never know.

But I did not ask her out like I might have with any other girl. I took a step back, waiting for the feelings to fade. Which, eventually, they did. The glow that I once saw around Julie in all her glory went away and I was back in the game.

Due to the circumstances at the time, it was probably better that way. Whether it could stay that way for long... I'll let you figure that out for yourself.

"Hey I was just wondering, what do you think would have happened if we had dated when everyone wanted us to?"

"Don't act as if you haven't been waiting to ask since you came over."

"Not true."

"Oh really."

"I was waiting to ask way before I came over here."

"Of course."

"You didn't answer my question."

"I knew you'd notice that."

"Well?"

"Well what?"

"What do you think?"

"I don't know."

"You have no clue?"

"I really don't."

"..."

"Aw come on, Jules. Don't scowl at me like that. It's not nice."

"I can if I want to."

"If it's any consolation, maybe we'll date someday and then we'll know."

"Don't be cheeky."