Julie: Accepted/Just the Highlights (118)

It took a few months, but finally I got a letter from the Iowa Writers' Workshop. And what did that letter say? Drum roll please...

It said yes!

Finally, I had a path. Iowa Writers' Workshop had a reputation that would help me get a job and I had secured myself a place where they could do just that. Sure I had to move away from the West Coast, which was terrifying, but I could tell that it was going to be so worth it. My parents could get on a plane, and it was only two years.

Only two years of figuring out Thanksgiving, two years of figuring out snow and Christmas, and only two years of school left before I was able to reach my career. It was so exciting and I couldn't wait.

I just had to tell everyone first.

"Okay, mom, I'll talk to you later, all right? I'll call you tomorrow

"Okay, mom, I'll talk to you later, all right? I'll call you tomorrow. Goodbye."

"Jesus Christ!"

"What the fu-"

"Oh. Hey Jules."

"Hey."

"Talking to your mom?"

"Yeah. I had some news."

"Cool. I have some news too."

"I'm sure. Cause it's been a while..."

"A few months."

"Yep."

"So what's your news?"

"No, you first! I mean, you can go first."

"Uh, okay. It's not big news. It's just that I finally got my Columbia application done and I had an interview the other day and I find out on Friday if I got in."

"Eli! That's amazing! I'm so proud of you."

"Thanks. I'm so glad you feel that way. You know, after everything."

"Don't even worry about it. Because you know what, I'm really sorry how things went down. I was acting crazy."

"I wasn't exactly sane either. We were both in the wrong. I'm sorry too."

"Wow, Columbia. Eli, that's your dream. It's just amazing."

"Thanks, sweet pea. That means a lot."

"When are you going to give up calling me sweet pea?"

"When there's someone around that fits it better. And when it stops pissing you off."

"Whatever."

"So what's your news?"

"My news? Oh it's nothing."

"Come on, just tell me. It may not be as cool as my news but I'm sure it's still cool."

"All right, all right, I guess I'll tell you. I got into the Iowa Writer's Workshop."

"That's awesome!"

"Thanks."

"So, Iowa..."

"So, New York..."

"Yeah."

"Yeah."

"Okay, so let's go."

"I can't."

"Come on, Jules, we have to celebrate!"

"Dude, I have class. I'll catch up with you later, okay?"

"Ugh, okay. But we will celebrate."

"We will, I promise."

"See you later, sweet pea."

"See you, asshole."