Eli: Surprise/Just the Highlights (88)

After Julie abandoned me on the street, I didn't know what to do. I had come to apologize and ask for help: I was failing one of my classes. But instead she ran away from me so I had to figure things out on my own, which was a new thing for me.

From that moment on, my partying stopped. It wasn't like I decided that the drinking and things were bad, all things in moderation I guess. I just realized that I was being irresponsible and not keeping my priorities straight so I had to quit cold turkey for a while. I got my grades back to where they were supposed to be and then was able to work my social life in, instead of working my schoolwork into my social life.

During this whole process, Julie was absent. But as I was finishing my transformation, she appeared as if she had fallen out of the sky. What happened that night she showed up would never be forgotten.

 What happened that night she showed up would never be forgotten

"Hey Julie, what's up?"

"Mateo and I broke up."

"Oh. You should come on in then."

"I meant to come right over here, I wanted to talk to someone you knew both of us and didn't want to talk on my phone thingy, but then I walked by this party and I had a few beers and I feel way better."

"Are you okay? Are you drunk?"

"No! You know me, I'm not good at being drunk. But I do have this warm feeling in my chest and I kind of like it."

"Come and sit down. Are you okay?"

"I'm good. Great, actually. I mean, I was upset at first but then I had an epiphany."

"And what was that?"

"I remembered what you said to me, when you first heard that Teo and I were going out, about how I knew if he was worth waiting for. Like the sex thing."

"That if you were going to wait on something that big for so long the guy had to be worth it in the other areas too?"

"Exactly. And I realized that he wasn't."

"He wasn't?"

"No. I cared about Mateo and he and I had a good thing going for a while but I never believed in the no sex thing like he did. I know it's probably not the best thing to say but I always felt like I was sort of missing out on something. Something I was ready for."

"I'm not sure if I understand."

"I realized that I can never know for sure if a guy is worth waiting that long but I can know if I love someone and if the whole, you know, sex thing, happens with someone I love then that's all I can ask for."

"So that means you're going to do what."

"I'm going to have sex with someone I love."

"That's good. Any idea who?"

"You."

"What the-"

"I'm not saying that I'm in love with you. I think on some days it's a stretch to say that I even just love you. Actually, sometimes it's hard to even say I like you. But I care about you and you care about me and I want to do this."

"This is so fucking weird."

"What? That I want to have sex for the first time with someone I care about?"

"That you came here, right after you and Teo broke up, and ask me to have sex with you."

"What's so bad about this idea?"

"Well, for one, when someone just decides to 'have sex so they can just get rid of their virginity,' that never ends well. For another thing, what about my feelings? It isn't like you to assume that everyone in the world is attracted to you."

"I'm not assuming that. That's why I had to have those drinks before I came here. I'm asking you to do this as a favor."

"You want me to have sex with you as a favor?"

"Sort of, yeah."

"This just keeps just getting more and more fucked up."

"And as for my assuming things, I wasn't just not assuming that you're attracted to me because I'm asking you as a favor."

"Oh really."

"I don't have to assume. I happened to hear from a little bird that you used to have some kind of crush on me?"

"Ugh I can't believe you know about that."

"I do indeed."

"Are you sure you want to do this?"

"As sure as I can be."

"That's not really what I was hoping to hear."

"Yes, I'm sure."