Chapter 3

"Bethany open the door now," I hear mom say behind the door. 

I came home and locked the door to my room. Locked with so much air behind the door that mom couldn't even open it. 

That had been hours ago. I was feeling the heartache of losing a mate now. More of a friend

I sit up in bed and swirl my finger around my fisted hand like Uncle Carter had shown me. The door opens and mom walks into the room alone. 

"I'm worried," she says as she closes the door behind herself. 

"I'm fine, Mom. I think I'm just a little sick," I lie as she sits on my bed.  

"I felt your pain and anger earlier. What happened?" She asks me. 

Mom and I have a special connection. She has the powers to control water and fire. I have the power to control air, anything to do with weather. I can't feel my mom's emotions but she can feel mine if they're overpowering her mind. I try not to let her feel it. I try to shut it out but I don't know how too. 

"I just had a moment," I mumble, shrugging my shoulders. 

A moment. Another word for my powers going out of control and I can't stop it. I haven't had one in months but I can lie and say it. 

Mom sighs and moves closer to me as she hugs me tightly. I let out a sigh as she mumbles it's going to be okay. 

After my moments I tend to feel sick. I feel as if all the populated air is trapped inside of me. It hurts and makes me want to vomit every day for a week but I try to have it under control now. 

I can't tell them about Jake. Dad would get angry and kick him out of the pack. He wanted to become a Beta, he should have the chance to become one. I'm not evil. 

I hear dad walking upstairs and he enters the room. 

"I found you a ticket for next week to go," he says, holding a piece of paper in his hands. 

"Can I go tomorrow?" I ask quietly and he frowns. 

"Why?" They both ask me. 

"I don't want to delay it. I know if I spend a week here, I'll probably want to stay. I just want to go, please," I mumble and mom nods. 

"Okay. Tomorrow it is then. We're not going to hold you back," she smiles at me and I smile back. 

"I'll see if there's any packs out there. I don't think there is but I'll just double check," Dad says walking out of the room. 

"Is this about Jake? You didn't even meet him. He's been back for hours," Mom says when dad disappears.

I shake my head. 

"No. I talked to him. I already said my goodbyes to him," I say and she nods as she stands up. 

"Okay. Layla is downstairs," she says as she leaves the room. 

I get out of bed and fix it. I pull my hair up into a ponytail and then head downstairs to say goodbyes to Layla. It would be better like that. I want to leave tomorrow with no regrets. 

I walk into the living room where she's eating spaghetti while watching tv. She picks up a bowl of spaghetti and offers it to me without looking up. 

"You missed Jake early. He came to say hi. We're all going to hang out later," she says as I sit down next to her and see what she's watching. Smurfs. 

"I don't want to talk about him," I mumble as I shove spaghetti in my mouth. I'm hungry. 

"Why not? He's changed a lot. Grown a little taller, and you know what? I think he's going to find his mate here. She's going to be a lucky girl and then you can find your mate and we can go on a big da-"