My face must have been white as a sheet and I could feel the tingling in my hands that only happened when I was internally freaking out. This was a combination of hell and my worst nightmares, only I couldn't escape from this new reality.

"Okay, there's a pair of scissors in my left boot. Get them out." My voice had a strange, deadly steel to it that freaked me out. I should be panicking or screaming or crying, but I was calm. Valerie hesitated but did as I said and when she got the tool out, she only stared at it funny.

"Why the hell do have a pair of scissors in your shoe? Is that not uncomfortable?"

"Oh my god, just cut me loose!"

"No need to snap, girl," she spoke with a pout on her face, but I felt a sense of relief overcome me as I was free to move my hands, the duct tape falling to the floor.

"I've been strapped to a chair for about eight hours today. I think I've earned the right to a little bit of irritability."

Once I was free to move, I only spent a second to rub my aching wrists and ankles before sprinting out the door. Under other circumstances, I would have made a beeline for the exit and gotten word to Harry about what was going on, but we didn't have time for that. There was a bomb that was going to go off at eight o'clock and I was the only one who could stop it at the moment.

I heard the clicking of Val's boots behind me as she tried to keep pace with me, gasping out complaints of where we were going. "Val, what's the time? We gotta hurry."

Through her panted breath she gasped out, "Around seven forty-five, I think. Jesus, Summer, can you just tell me where we're going?"

But I didn't need to. Almost immediately after she uttered out the question, a dim light could be seen at the end of the corridor which had been increasingly suffocating. With a new fire lit in my chest, I sprinted as fast as I could in my boots, feeling a small drip of sweat under my sweater.

The circular room that we came to had no door and no ceiling, but the pit was nestled into the ground with grass poking over the edges of the wall. I only looked up for a second to notice the stars twinkling above, and for some reason I thought of Lilly's eyes.

However, the vast room wasn't the major concern. What could only be described as a military grade rocket lay hooked up to a series of wires and the nose pointing straight into the heavens. I would have expected there to be a countdown of sorts, something screaming out the last few minutes that I would have left to live, but the machine just sat there ominously, humming.

"What the hell is that?" Valerie asked, and her panic-stricken face told me that she didn't even want the answer. I had to tell her anyway.

"That, my friend, is a hydrogen bomb that is going to be used to turn the city of New York into rubble."

I didn't want to look into Val's questioning doe eyes, the ones that would surely be asking me how I knew. If I told her the truth, I would be seen as a traitor, not one to take part in the rebellion but one who sat back and watched it all happen.

"I'm not gonna ask, Summer." I was surprised by the quiet tone, but she wasn't stupid. She could put two and two together. "I'm not gonna ask how you know 'cause I'm afraid of the answer. But if that is going to kill eight million people, we have to stop it."

That was when I turned my head to face Val, my friend, one of the few people who had stuck by me this whole time. Harry had been an ass at times, Brielle was a traitor, and Lilly was gone, but Val had never turned her back to me when I was suffering. There wasn't accusation in her eyes but fierce determination and courage.