A Friend's Funeral

AN: The time has come, this is the last chapter. I'm sad its come to an end, but I'm excited to start working on the sequel, and I'm even more excited to mark this book as complete. Finally I will have a completely finished book. I hope you guys are excited for the sequel, I know I am, but make sure you enjoy this last chapter. I love and appreciate all you readers, yes, even the silent ones. Remember to vote and comment. :)

~

Chaos. The stands are filled with chaos, and the sound is deafening. People running about, scared for their lives, everyone trying to talk at the same time, Cedric Diggory's friends and father yelling and crying, girls screaming, myself included. I can't stop screaming. My father is back, he knows I'm alive, he'll surely be coming for me, and that means my adoptive parents and Sylvia, not to mention all of my friends could be in danger very soon.

"Potter come with me." Mad Eye says, pulling Harry to his feet and basically dragging him away from Cedric's body, inside the castle. I notice Lani and McKenna following them, out of the corner of my eye, but I can't worry about that right now. I have to talk to Dumbledore.

I close my eyes, willing myself to stop screaming. I manage to clamp my mouth shut, but I can't stop the tears that are continually streaming down my face. Suddenly, a pair of arms wrap around my waist and pull me to my feet, I hadn't even realized that I had been kneeling next to my friend's body. I turn around and am not surprised to come face to face with Fred.

"Come on, Vanessa, we need to get you out of here." He says. I nod slowly, not being able to acknowledge anything other than the fact that he's just said my full name, which he hasn't done since we first met.

Fred leads me through the chaotic crowd and into the castle, I walk with him silently. We make it to the Gryffindor common room and sit down in the red velvet chairs by the fire.

"I'm dead." I say, as the realization suddenly hits me.

"No, you're not, Vanessa." Fred says quietly.

"It's only a matter of time before my father comes for me, and then I'll be dead." I say.

"I'm not going to let that happen. I'll protect you, I promise." Fred says, kissing my forehead.

"He killed Cedric." I say darkly.

"I know, but there's nothing we can do about it now. If there was, I'd have already done it." Fred says.

"I know but it's just so frustrating. My father killed my friend, I just... I want to do something about it, I want to avenge Cedric, but I can't. It makes me want to scream, again." I say in tone filled with pain and frustration, my voice cracking occasionally.

"I'm sorry, Vanessa." Fred says quietly, wrapping an arm around my shoulders.

Suddenly, the portrait hole opens and Professor McGonagall climbs through it.

"Ah, there you are." She says, mostly to herself. "Miss Redwood, I'm afraid I need you to come with me. Your friends, Miss Davidson and Miss Riot, have been injured. They're in the hospital wing."

"What?" I exclaim, standing up. "What happened?"

"I don't have time to explain it to you, but I can take you to them." McGonagall says, pity in her voice. I've already lost Cedric, I can't lose Lani and McKenna too!

I nod and follow the Professor out of the common room and down to the hospital wing without a word, Fred trailing behind. Madame Pomfrey insists that only I am allowed in to see them, and McGonagall leaves, while Fred waits outside the doors. I follow Madame Pomfrey to the two beds where two of my best friends lay, unconscious.