Redwood or Riddle?

The tears I've been holding back slowly slide down my face.

"What? How? Who's my mother? Why didn't my adoptive family tell me?" I immediately start asking question after question, until Dumbledore puts a hand up to stop me.

"I will answer all of your questions before you leave. I believe your first question was 'how?'. In order to answer that, you have to know who your mother is, and she is one of Voldemort's most loyal followers. Bellatrix Lestrange." Dumbledore pauses, letting this sink in.

"So, let me get this straight... my father one of the most evil dark wizards to ever rise to power, and my mother is one of his most loyal followers?" I ask, taking deep breaths.

"I'm sorry to say that you are correct." Dumbledore says, frowning slightly.

"Ok... so how am I even here? I thought Lord Voldemort couldn't feel love." I say, attempting to stop the steady flow of tears running down my face.

"Honestly, I'm not sure love was even involved. Bellatrix has always had a special kind of affection for Voldemort, you know, but that doesn't mean Voldemort ever had any affection for her, he may have just wanted an heir, and ended up with you." Dumbledore says, "To answer your other question, about two and a half years before your father went after Harry, just before Bellatrix went to Azkaban, you were created. That is all I know for sure, and all I wish to know."

"Ok, so why am I here, why haven't I grown up with my parents? Wouldn't they want to bring me up to be a follower?" I ask.

"Well, that is a bit tricky. Your parents believe you to be dead. You see, when you were born, Voldemort refused to help raise you, he was busy gaining power, so you lived with your mother. I learned of your existence, and attempted to get you away from your mother so that we could protect you from the dark arts. After a few failed attempts, I took you from your house when your mother was out, and started a small, controlled fire so that your parents would assume you dead, and wouldn't come after you. I then delivered you to the Redwoods, a nice, muggle family looking to adopt, and altered their memories, making them believe that you were their child."

"This is a lot for me to take in. I have more questions, but could I have a few days to let this sink in?" I ask, still crying.

"Of course, I believe that I have confused you enough for today. You may go." Dumbledore answers.

I nod and leave the room, practically running down the stairs and to the common room, trying not to let anyone see my tear-soaked face. Unfortunately for me, I find all of my friends, AND the golden trio are waiting for me in the common room, and I can't hide my tears.

"So, did he expel you?" Ron asks.

"No." I exclaim, "He had no reason to, you twat!"

"So, why are you crying?" Lani asks, walking over to me and embracing me in a hug.

"Because... I- I'm adopted!" I manage to choke out.

"What?" Fred and George ask in unison.

"I'm a pureblood." I clarify.

"Who are your parents?" McKenna asks, jumping up and down excitedly, making me start sobbing all over again.

"Well?" Ron asks impatiently.

"My mother is Bellatrix Lestrange..." I trail off with a fresh wave of sobs as everyone gasps, "and she's not even the worst one."

"What?" Lani asks.

"My father..." I start, shaking.

"Spit it out." Ron pushes. George smacks his brother upside the head.

"My father is Lord Voldemort." I say, pushing away from my friends and running towards the girls stairs.

Fred grabs my arm and pulls me into a hug, I cry onto his shoulder.

"Shh. It's okay, love. No one thinks any less of you." He whispers to me. "At least you have a nose."

I let out a laugh. That's Fred for you, providing comic relief in the worst situations.

"True." I say.

I wipe away my tears and turn to look at the golden trio. Hermione looks as though she wants to say something, but I speak before she has the chance.

"Before you ask, let me assure you that I am in no way a follower of my father. I despise him just as much as you lot." I say.

"Vanessa, we believe you. We're sorry we didn't before." Hermione says, elbowing her friends.

"Yeah, terribly sorry." Ron mutters.

I shake my head and turn back to my friends.

"I'm going to go for a walk." I say, making Lani and McKenna jump up off the couch they were previously sitting on, "Alone."

I turn and climb out of the portait hole, leaving my friends mumbling behind me. I walk through corridors and down staircases until I've reached a painting of a bowl of fruit. I tickle the pear in the picture, as Fred and George once showed me how to do, and the pear lets out a laugh, squirming as it transforms into a green door-knob. I turn the knob and enter the kitchens, and am immediately met by a rather small house elf.

"Hello Misstress Redwood." The house elf says pleasantly, "Can we's get you something to eat?"

"Oh, yes please." I say, smiling down at the little creature.

"What would Mistress Redwood like?" The elf asks.

"Erm... something good. Surprise me." I answer.

The house elf leads me to a long, empty table in the back of the kitchens and disappears, happily making his way to the middle of the kitchens and informing the other elves of my request. I drum my fingers on the table trying desperately to take my mind of the fact that my whole life is basically a lie. I look around the room. The room is inhabited mostly by pots and pans that are hung on the walls, filling the sinks, and cluttering the counters.

I'm examining a brick fireplace on the other end of the kitchens when a house elf taps me on the shoulder, and hands me a large plate filled with food. I take the plate, thanking the elf as I pull the food towards me, eager to see what they have made for me. The house elves have outdone themselves. They have given me a sandwich filled with assorted meats and cheeses that is so big I'm sure I won't be able to bite into it, a chilled mug filled to the brim with pumpkin juice, and even a few chocolate frogs.

After saying thank you a few thousand times, I cut the sandwich in half and eat it slowly, enjoying every bite. When I'm finished, I drain the mug, and place the chocolate frogs in my pocket for later. I thank the elves again and leave the kitchens. I return to the common room, and find that everyone is gone, they must be in the great hall for lunch. Oh well, I need some time to think things over by myself anyhow. I enter the dorm just as Katie and Angelina are leaving. I lay down on my bed and pull the curtains around it closed.

I let out a sigh, and all of a sudden, I'm sobbing again. Why did it have to be me? I don't want to have anything to do with Voldemort, I don't want to be associated with him. I despise him, he has killed so many people, including my friend's parents. I refuse to think of Voldemort as my father. I could never love him like I do my adoptive father, Will. Meghan, Will, and Sylvia, I've lived with them my whole life, and the fact that we aren't actually related refuses to fully register. Sure Meghan and Sylvia have light blonde hair, and I have dark brown hair, but I had always assumed that I got my brown hair from Will.

My thoughts drift to what Dumbledore told me. My parents think that I'm dead. What would happen if they found out I'm alive, and at Hogwarts? Would they come after me? The thought scares me. Wait, what am I thinking? Voldemort is in no shape to come after me, and even if he was, how could he find out? Feeling slightly better, I let my mind rest as I slip into a dreamless sleep.

AN: Thanks for reading! The amazing aesthetic at the top was made by WeasleyGirl04 !