Chapter Five

Chapter Five – Mackenzie's P.O.V

I heard Demi and Alex talking as I went down the stairs. "You have to go to the police Alex. Her mum has obviously abused her. You should have seen her scars." I heard Demi say as I sneaked behind something.

"I don't know Demi. I don't want to do anything until she's ready. Standing up in court and talking about the abuse is a lot for a five year old to deal with. You of all people should know that."

"I know Alex. But as long as she isn't in jail she could do anything Alex. Mackenzie isn't going to be safe unless her mum is behind bars and we both know that." There was silence for a minute.

"Mac needs to know that we are going to keep her safe. That's the only way she's going to trust us." Demi continued. I heard Alex sigh before someone moved around.

"I know and I want her to trust me. But I'm not even sure if Mac will talk to anyone." Alex replied to Demi. "She barely talks to us and she lives with us."

Silence filled the air again. I sneezed all of a sudden. Demi and Alex came towards my hiding place.

"What are you doing there Mac?" Alex asked me as he lifted me into his arms. I shrugged my shoulders as I placed my head on his shoulders and snuggled into him.

"Shall we make a move then?" Demi asked. I looked at Alex confused.

"We're going clothes shopping." He explained to me.

"Why?" I asked him.

"Because you need new clothes badly." Demi told me.

"But I have clothes. Mum said I wasn't allowed to have any new clothes until I grew out of the ones I have now."

"Well Mum isn't here and I'm in charge. So I what I say goes and I'm saying that you need new clothes."

"But..." Alex interrupted me.

"You're not going to win this one Mac, so you'd better give up." Alex said to me.

"But what if..." Alex looked at me sternly.

"I'm getting you new clothes and that is the end of it Mac."

I didn't say anything else as Demi went to get my coat and shoes. Alex put me down on the floor and I sat on the stairs as Demi came over with my shoes and coat. She helped me put them on before we headed towards the car. Demi helped me into my car seat and strapped me in before she got into the car herself.

20 minutes later

People started crowding around the car as soon as they saw Alex driving into the car park. It was kind of creepy that they knew we were going to be there. Alex and Demi talked amongst themselves as Alex pulled into a car parking space.

Demi got out of the car and walked around the front of the car to get to my door. The people were right next to her, shoving cameras in my face.

"Hey leave her alone!" Alex called out. "She's only five."

Demi lifted me into her arms before she shut the door. The people ignored Alex and continued to shove cameras in my face. I whimpered as I clung onto Demi.

Alex went towards them. "I told you to leave her alone. She's five years old, she's not used to having camera's shoved in her face all the time."

"Well maybe she would be used to it, if you hadn't been a dead beat father." A man retorted

Demi grabbed Alex's hand and pulled him away before he could do or say anything else. "Just ignore them. They want a reaction out of you." I heard Demi whispering to Alex.

"What's a dead beat father?" I asked curiously.

"I'll tell you when you're older." Alex told me

"Why can't I know now?" I asked him. "I'm not a baby!"

"Because there's certain things that children don't need to know." Demi explained to me.

"Like where babies come from?" I asked Demi as she carried me towards the entrance.

"Especially where babies come from Mac." Alex told me as he looked at Demi weirdly.

I looked behind me and I noticed that the people with cameras were following us. "Why are people following us?" I asked a little creped out. No one ever used to follow me around when I was with my mum.

"Because they have no life." Alex replied to me as he placed his sun glasses over his eyes. "We just need to ignore them okay Mac?" He asked me

"O-Okay." I stuttered.

Alex perked up a little bit as we stepped inside

"So Mac, where do you want to go first?" He asked

I shrugged my shoulders. "I don't know. I've never really been to a place like this." I admitted.

"Shall we start with clothes?" Alex suggested as he looked at Demi. Demi nodded her head in agreement.

At first, everything was okay. Demi and Alex went from store to store, picking out clothes and then showing them to me. But then after the second shop I noticed that someone was following us and secretly taking photos of me with Demi and Alex. I did what Alex told me to do and tried to ignore them. They were probably one of the people from outside.

But as time went on it started to really freak me out. I didn't like the idea of random people taking my photo but I didn't say anything to Demi and Alex. The man looked familiar and it took me a while to realise that it was one of mummy's friends.

Authors Note:

*Suspense music starts playing*

So don't forget to vote, comment and I'll try to update next week.

-Kerri