Chapter 20: First Master's tragic love

Italic: Flashback

Normal: Back to the story's present.

✦*.:。✿* ✦ *.:。✿* ✦*.:。✿* ✦

She giggled to herself. His presence every time was calming unlike any other humans. This was her third time meeting him and she still didn't know his name. Perhaps, she was too frightened to ask.

"I realized that you aren't a human, are you? " He asked in a curious tone, rather than the frightened and suspicious one she always got.

"I'm an intelligent but lonely Vampire. " She replied as shame flicked across her face.

"What makes you feels ashamed to be a vampire? " He asked. She shrugged uncomfortably, looking down, as if there was something very interesting going on the ground.

"Animals seemed to like you, " He changed the subject. She smiled widely and her eyes sparkled.

"I enjoy coming to this forest, " She told him as she spun herself around, breathing in the fresh air.

"Because there's no one to glare at me. " She added quietly.

"I would prefer to stare at you. " He looked at her calmly, observing her features carefully, "You're fascinating. "

"Again, aren't you afraid of me? I could kill you in a second, human. " She shook her head, her beautiful blonde hair shaking with her head in confusion.

"I would like to see a little girl like you doing that. And my name's Zeref. " He said in a serious tone, but had a smile that was contagious. She laughed, feeling extremely amused. Her laughter sounded musical, a pleasant sound to humans' ears.

"Well, I hope you remembered my name. "

"Of course. You're fascinating, Mavis Vermillion. "

Suddenly, they heard faint footsteps from not far away.

There were humans and wizards on horses. During this period of time, Vampires were common and were considered as monsters and a disgraceful species. And not few days ago, it was legal for Wizards and humans to freely kill Vampires however they like. Vampires were considered to be extremely powerful and dangerous creatures.

Mavis whimpered and quickly ran off. She had a bad feeling that they were up to no good.

"Vampire! " A wizard exclaimed excitedly, pointing at Mavis's direction. During that time, Vampires had not discovered that they have special abilities, they only knew that they had extraordinary speed and strength. Thus, they were unable to defend themselves from the Wizards' magic and humans' weapons.

"Mavis! " Zeref shouted in alarm. He didn't knew that Vampires were meant to be killed. He didn't knew the cruel and harsh reality. So he took the bullet for her.

Fortunately, the bullets were meant to kill Vampires.

"Human there! Why are you here?!" A rough voice shouted rudely. Unaffected by the bullet, Zeref glared at the rude wizard fiercely.

"Please do not take an innocent life away." Zeref advised him. With a frantic expression, Mavis pulled Zeref's sleeve desperately, her eyes widening in fear.