Dragon Dung

The next morning, Remus comes in, bringing the same new the guys told me last night. Sirius Black is coming closer and closer to Hogwarts, Zacharias Smith and his stupid father, Malfoy. I have to act surprised and devastated. Along with the bad news, he brings new news. How he covered Boggarts in the third years' lesson. How Neville was called forward to face the Boggarts first. And how Neville put Professor Snape, the thing he was most afraid of, into his grandmother's outrageous clothes at Remus's request. Also how Dumbledore made a speech last night about the attack, but didn't mention my name.

I'm sure everyone knows it was me. Gossip is probably spreading through the roof of this place. Until today, I couldn't wait to get out of the Hospital Wing. Now I'm a little hesitant. People will stare more than they usually do. People will say mean things.

I spend the rest of Friday worrying. When I wake up on Saturday, though, I push my worries aside. I get to get up, walk around freely, leave the Hospital Wing!

Madam Pomfrey comes in early with breakfast. I take a hasty bite of a bagel and start to get up. "I will not let you leave here until you eat every last bite on this plate, Miss Black."

I quickly shove the bagel into my mouth, followed by eggs, and wash it down with one chug of milk. "Can I go now?"

She humphs, but I can tell she's amused. Madam Pomfrey pulls back my covers and checks all my bruises. Most look worse than ever, but they don't hurt anymore, even when she pushes on them. We go through a ten-minute period where Madam Pomfrey pokes every single bruise to try and get a reaction out of me. They hurt a little, but I don't react at all. I need to get out of here.

Madam Pomfrey leads me into the bathroom. I see the disheveled girl in the mirror again, but I brush it off. She sends me into the shower. I feel like I spend an hour in there, hot water rushing down my body, relaxed. After I get out, Madam Pomfrey has summoned some clothes from my drawers back in my dorm. It's some sweatpants and a Hippogriff t-shirt. I put them on quickly, and brush out my hair. It takes ages, and I even break the brush. With a flick of her wand and a smile, Madam Pomfrey mends the brush. I don't put on any makeup, but I do throw my hair into a messy bun.

Now I look into the mirror seeing a girl who seems proud of herself. Her eye is still black and puffy, and her lip is still busted. She stares the figure in the mirror straight in the eye confidently. She is ready to be strong. She is bent, but not broken.

Outside I am met with an escort to the dorms. It consists of Fred, George, Lee, Angelina, Alicia, Wood, Remus, and Professor McGonagall. Madam Pomfrey hugs me, and gives me a few doses of healing potion with directions on when to take it before dismissing me.

My friends let out whoops and cheers, which are not even silenced by McGonagall. Remus hugs me. My friends and I skip back to the common rooms happily, followed by the professors.

People stare and glare at me as I walk past, but no one dares say anything with Remus and Professor McGonagall there. When we reach the door to the common room, Remus and McGonagall stop us.

"Miss Black, be sure to take your healing potion before you go to bed tonight. Madam Pomfrey said you should be healing steadily by now. Tomorrow, you can go see her for a checkup. On Monday, you may go to class if you get lots of rest the nights before." Professor McGonagall says. She gives a stern look to my friends. "Got that boys? Miss Johnson? Miss Spinnet? She is not to skip any of these rules."

They all nod and mumble promises about taking care of me.

Remus hugs me again. He's not a soft-feeling wizard, but somehow is one of the best huggers I know. He has a way of holding you close that makes you feel special and delicate. "Take care of yourself, my Ariana. You can do this."