13; Sacrifice

A/N- Enjoy Chapter 13 guys!! It's a quite short, I hope you'll forgive me~ gomen ne >_< 

More to come soon though! I have big plans for this story xD

*     *      *

Chapter 13-Sacrifice

I looked up at Jiraiya, a confused expression on my face, “What new book?”

“I wanted a new twist on the Ichya Ichya series,” Jiraiya said thoughtfully, “I thought maybe a student-teacher series would be popular. I need to keep up with competition you understand.”

It was then that it dawned on me. Sakura did warn me he was a perverted hermit. Coming just after the interrogation however, it caught me off guard. I wasn’t sure how to answer.

“Um, no?” I answered, quite unsure of myself.

“Oh, it’s ok you don’t have to decide now. I’ve been promising Kakashi a starring role in one of my books though. Don’t want to keep him waiting too long,” he winked.

I looked at Kakashi, developing a sudden awareness of the closeness of our bodies. He instantly released me. An unexpected blush crept up my cheeks and I stood up quickly, avoiding eye contact with any of them.

“Jiraiya,” I heard Kakashi whisper, “This is hardly the time…”

“A-Anyway!” I interrupted, “Release me from this place.”

“Not yet,” Kakashi said, standing up, “Let Jiraiya take a look at that bite.”

I rolled my eyes and pulled down my collar as Jiraiya inspected it, “Yep. Definitely a curse seal.”

My eyes widened, “What? Rain gave me a curse seal?”

“We need to get that sealed ASAP.”

‘Consider it a gift,’ Rain had said.

How was it a gift? I knew what curse seals did. I learned a lot from being in Akatsuki. But now it would just make my powers even more uncontrollable!!

“We can get the Hokage to do it when we get back to the village,” Kakashi said, “But it also means Akatsuki still has a purpose for you.”

I met Kakashi’s eyes, “Like what?”

“That’s what we need to find out.” Suddenly the esophagus convulsed again so violently it flung us into the air.

“I think… we’re under attack,” Jiraiya said, closing his eyes and performing a hand seal once we were back on our feet. I believe he was speaking to his summoned animal.

“My God, it’s Akatsuki,” he said, releasing the hand seal.

I frowned. Just what was Akatsuki up to? My mission was to stay under cover and find out information, and here they were trying to get to me out in the open. Just what was going on? What was I supposed to do? Resist, or give in?

I guess I’d find out when I saw my comrades.

“He’s going to spit us out,” Jiraiya told us, “Brace yourselves.”

“Wait!” I said to him frantically. I was not looking forward to that option, “Why?! Can’t you just use your summoning jutsu the same wa-” I was cut off as I was flung forward along a torrent of gloopy liquid. It was impossible to hold onto the slimy walls as they heaved and soon we left through the frog’s mouth and I was flying through the air. Earth and sky were mixed into one. I quickly used a chakra jutsu to angle my feet towards the earth and eventually landed on my feet. Jiraiya and Kakashi landed next to me. The giant toad that we were just inside of was now in front of us.

Akatsuki flanked us. Kisame, Kakuzu, Konan and Itachi stood all around. I had to physically stop my eyes from lingering on Itachi. It had been so long. I missed him.

“To what to do we owe the pleasure?” Jiraiya said to them.

Itachi stepped forward, “We understand you have received a visit from our Leader. He requests an audience with… Sayuri.”

“I’m afraid we can’t do that,” Jiraiya told him.

“If you don’t, our leader has said he will destroy Konoha.”

Kakashi and Jiraiya became quiet, “Do not take our village so lightly. To do so, you must have been planning this for a while.”

“I’m merely delivering a message,” Itachi answered, “Hand her over to us.”

Kakashi and Jiraiya glanced at each other.

“You think he’s bluffing?” Jiraiya asked.

Kakashi shook his head, “Akatsuki do not bluff.”

Jiraiya took in a breath, “If you want Sayuri, you will have to go through us.”

“Then Konoha will go,” Itachi said, “We are not seeking a fight.”

“Just hand me over,” I said to Jiraiya and Kakashi, “You don’t want to see your village destroyed do you?”

“I can’t just hand you over, Sayuri,” Kakashi said to me, placing a hand on my shoulder, “You’re a part of team seven now.”

Something happened just then that was very unexpected. My eyes watered of their own accord. A tear started to run down my cheek but I quickly wiped it away. What was this? I had only been with them for what, a week? And already they cared about me enough to protect me. They actually cared about me. And I found myself caring back…

“Is that your final answer?” Itachi pressed.

I looked at him pleadingly, “Don’t destroy their village. Just take me, please.”

I stepped forward but Jiraiya held out a hand, “We don’t sell out our comrades. Konoha can look after itself till we get there.”

I looked up at him. This wasn’t part of the plan... No way was this part of the plan.

“Very well,” Itachi said, and turned his back.

“No, Itachi!!” I cried out. He ignored my cries and all the Akatsuki disappeared into the distance.

I stepped back from Jiraiya and Kakashi. The gravity of the situation dawned on me. They had just sacrificed their village to keep me safe. “What have you done?!”

*     *     *