29; Blind Chance

A/N- After much struggle I can finally update!! Thanks to my readers for putting up with the irregular uploads. Life seems to meddle with my inspiration and my ability/ willingness to write. But I REALLY want to finish this story! I know where I want it to end up, but I don't want to rush either.

So enjoy the read guys and girls (though I suspect mostly girls), and please vote if you like!        

It really encourages me when I see your votes. ^.^  Love you all..!!

*     *    *

Chapter 29- Blind Chance

There was a dull repetitive thud.

Uchiha Itachi sat up, looking around his cell.

Then he heard it again. It sounded like it was coming from underneath them. He glanced at Sasuke beside him who returned it with a confused shrug.

It sounded like it was getting louder. It would make sense if someone was trying to break out, but rather it seemed like someone was trying to get in. But who would want to get into a dungeon?

They backed up towards the back wall of the cell and did nothing except watch the floor in the middle of the cell tremble with each thud.

“Itachi??”  Itachi heard Kakashi’s voice call out, “You guys ok? What’s going on?”

Since there was a concrete wall between each of the cells, Kakashi couldn’t see what was happening.

“I’m not exactly sure,” was Itachi’s response, “But I think someone is trying to break in.”

Then suddenly a crack appeared in the floor, and it grew until it exploded outwards in a cloud of dust and cement.

Itachi covered his eyes, and once the dust cleared he saw Sasuke on the floor next to him. He was caught in a chokehold by Naruto Uzumaki.

Itachi blinked once, trying to put the images together, and looked back at the hole in the middle of the cell to see Naruto’s teammates clambering out of the crevice.

All at once he understood why they emerged from that particular spot in the first place.

Sasuke grunted and planted a swift right hook in the side of Naruto’s face. Naruto lost his grip on Sasuke’s neck and the two of them stood glaring at each other.

“Nine tails brat,” Sasuke cursed under his breath, “I just can’t get rid of you.”

Naruto held his cheek which was now red and throbbing, “That was for leaving us in the first place, idiot. And I didn’t know you were gonna be here.”

“Naruto??” Kakashi’s voice echoed in small space, from somewhere else in the dungeon, “is that you?!”

“Kakashi-sensei?!” Naruto exclaimed, recognizing his sensei’s voice.

“He’s in the cell next door. The other Konoha shinobi are in different cells,” Itachi explained, as Sakura, Shikamaru and Rock Lee made their way up, “What I want to know is how you know about that secret entrance in the first place.”

Sakura punched Naruto in the arm, “Naruto was practising to be a stalker when he was younger.”

“Ow!” Naruto grabbed his arm, “I was NOT!”

“I thought it had to be something like that. The only person I told about it was Sasuke,” Itachi said, “And I would have expected him to have forgotten after all these years.”