5; Introductions [revised]

Chapter Five- Introductions

I hadn’t slept very well. I kept waking up in the middle of the night, plagued by fitful nightmares that made no sense. And by the time the dawn approached, a thick knot of worry made me so nauseous that I couldn’t eat anything.

I met Itachi outside the hideout, at a location in the neighbouring forest that was familiar to Akatsuki and used as our main meeting point. I packed a bag with my documents and enough food and weapons for the journey ahead. I left my Akatsuki cloak and wore what I hoped would look like ‘normal clothing’; a short black and white kunoichi dress that was split at the sides, knee length leggings, black arm protectors on both arms and bandages on my upper arms and thighs to prevent cuts and grazes. I also wore my hair up in two ponytails, hoping that I’d look my like a young, innocent student.

I didn’t register any negative reaction to my appearance when I met with Itachi, so I assumed I looked ok.

“Remember not to use your summoning technique or your bloodline limit,” Itachi reminded me, “And it would be best to hold off on your lightning ability as long as you can. Knowledgeable shinobi will know that combining fire and water can create lightning but it will shock most people if you use all three.”

I nodded. I really wanted to do my mission properly. Itachi was quiet for a moment, and then he frowned. He must have seen the nervous look on my face because he gently put a finger under my chin and tilted my head up to look at him, “You will do fine Yuri. You are a great ninja.”

Coming from Itachi that was a huge compliment. He didn’t say things like that often. I couldn’t help the smile that took over me. And then Itachi surprised me further when suddenly his lips pressed firmly onto mine. My eyes were open in shock. And then he moved one hand to behind my head, and the other to the small of my back, pulling me closer to him and deepening the kiss. I closed my eyes, sinking into him as his touch sent sweet tingles of excitement all the way down my spine and made my legs feel like jelly. His lips felt soft when he pulled away, and I found it difficult to keep myself standing up.

“Itachi...” I breathed. I didn’t know what else to say. He took me completely by surprise. That was the last thing I ever expected. And though the kiss had stopped, the dark, primal gaze he was sending me now still had me reeling.

“I will see you soon, I promise.” Itachi said. His voice was barely audible.

Only then did I realise his eyes had turned to Sharingan. As soon as that registered, I blinked and he exploded into a burst of what seemed like a thousand crows. I raised my arm to shield myself from the scurrying birds and in a matter of seconds they were gone, and I was alone in the forest.

My breath caught in my throat. What the heck just happened?

Now that I thought about it, had Itachi been using Sharingan the whole time? Was that kiss even real? I couldn’t be sure. Putting a finger to my lips I could still feel his caress as clear as day. It had to have been real. Right?

I slapped my forehead, taking a deep breath. I couldn’t afford to dwell on it right now. I had to get into the right mindset of a young Genin. So I started walking as I began the three day journey to Konoha.

I had a lot of time to think on my journey. I went over the story Akatsuki had given me hundreds of times. But I also got to think about my real history, and reflected on my upbringing in Kumo (Village of Cloud).

My compulsory education was completed at the Academy in Lightning Country.

But by that time my parents had long died. I was put into the care of foster parents in Kumo when I was only five. But they soon died and afterward I stayed with one of my Academy teachers. But she never cared either. She was never home and always drunk. I was never incredibly social, but I learned to work as a team in order to complete missions at the Academy and to strive for my Genin exam. In order to try and escape my chaotic home life I focused on my ninja skills and rose through the ranks quickly, becoming Genin by the time I was eight and a Chuunin at age eleven. I did the Chuunin exam in Konoha, as at the time they were inviting early applicants.

I did my own research on my birth parents and found that through my unique fusion of elements; my birth mother being from a family of Water Country ninjas and my birth father being a ninja from the Fire country, I was able to use both elements in battle. I found that when I used them together correctly it created electricity. Fire on its own was a difficult element to command but electricity was even more so. I suppose it explained why I was sent off to Lightning Country, since that was their specialty. Still, my foster parents had never explained this to me. They had always kept me at a distance. As far as I was concerned, one minute we were on an exciting adventure to Lightning country, the next they were gone and I was left on my own to adjust to a new life.

During the time I have been with Itachi in Akatsuki, it was the first time I ever felt that someone saw me for who I was.  My powers didn't frighten him like everyone else. It actually fascinated him, and he taught me many forbidden techniques. He even taught me the summoning techniques for one of the most difficult creatures; the dragon. I became stronger and faster, and my bloodline limit flourished under Itachi’s tuition. I became an asset to Akatsuki. I had never let them down. I would never let Itachi down.

*         *        *         *         *

I made my way to the village of Konoha that evening, wearing common clothing and my Cloud village forehead protector. Yes, I still had it. It took a while to reach the village, but I arrived there in a couple of days.

I reported to Tsunade-sama, the fifth Hokage of Konoha, and explained that I was an exchange student from the Hidden Cloud Village, Kumogakure. Tsunade was notified of this a few months earlier. Akatsuki had blackmailed the leader of Kumogakure into signing a letter of my arrival. I was told it had been quite easy. Turned out they were a greedy bunch.

“Oh yes,” Tsunade-said, “I’ve been expecting you. Welcome to Konoha, Asakura Sayuri. I know you will have a lovely time here.”

I bowed, “Thank you very much.”

Tsunade seemed satisfied and ushered her assistant over, “Show Sayuri-san to the Academy.”

Her assistant bowed, “Yes, Tsunade-sama.”

Tsunade then said to me, “Arrangements have been made for you to stay with a girl in your class named Haruno Sakura. I know you will get on well.”

I bowed and thanked her once more then followed her assistant as she took me to the Academy. Once there I was shown the class I would be in and was introduced to the class.

As I looked up at the mostly bored-looking faces, I identified Uchiha Sasuke immediately and suppressed a grimace, remembering our fight and the scar I still had. I was placed next to Naruto, who was asleep on his arms folded on the desk. Sasuke was sat on the other side of Naruto. I decided to be a nice exchange student and nudged Naruto gently. His eyes flickered opened.

“Urgh…who are you?” he asked groggily, sitting up, yawning and then stretching.

“Are you Uzumaki Naruto?” I asked.

“Yeah! How did you know?”

I smiled, “I’ve heard a lot about you.”

“Really?” he beamed, “So uh…who are you again?”

“I’m an exchange student from the Cloud Village.”

“Oh, cool! Nice to meet you!”

“Oi baka,” Sasuke nudged Naruto, “Would you keep it down? No wonder you never learn anything.”

“Yeah yeah…” Naruto grumbled.

Naruto didn’t say anything for a while, but then whispered to me, “Hey, what’s your name?”

He had been sleeping when our teacher, Yuuhei Kurenai, announced it to the whole class.

“Sayuri,” I replied, “Asakura Sayuri”

“Welcome to Konoha, Sayuri-chan.” He said with a smile.