9; Side-Mission

A/N- Yeah so.. This chapter was very much inspired from the series. You'll see why when you read it. Such a hilarious episode!!

Anyway hope you enjoy!

*    *    *

Chapter 9- Side-Mission

Something woke me up. I groggily fumbled around for my sword but I couldn’t feel it and started to panic. Then I realized I left it under the cabinet.

Damn, I cursed under my breath and looked around. There was no one else in the room apart from Sakura, and she was still asleep. I sat up slowly. So what had woke me up?

I suddenly remembered my encounter with Itachi last night and shivered. But I didn’t feel his chakra. I used Tsuyori, but didn’t detect anything.

I shrugged it off and crawled over to reattach my spine sheath and my sword.

I left Sakura asleep where she was and made my way round to see if anyone else was awake.

As I passed Kakashi’s room, his door suddenly slid open. I jumped back in surprise, but he grabbed my arm and pulled me inside, sliding the door shut behind him. With one hand on the small of my back, the other held a finger to my lips.

“Itachi was here last night,” he whispered in my ear.

I fought back an involuntary shiver at the mention of his name.

“Really?” I whispered back. My breath became shallow. I noticed were standing unusually close, so I didn’t want to make any sudden movements.

He nodded, “I saw him in the garden. He looked like he was alone. I know you went for a walk last night. Did you happen to see anything?”

I met his eyes and shook my head.

Kakashi sighed, “Damn. I wonder what he wants.”

“I don’t know.”

“It would be best not to mention this to the others. Sasuke is hellbent on revenge as it is, and we don’t know what Itachi’s plans are.”

Then he felt the hardness of the sheath on my back.

“What’s this?”

I pushed his hand away. I didn’t like other people touching my weapons.

“My sword. I always have it with me.”

Kakashi had a curious expression, “Interesting. I wonder what a nice genin like you needs with such a sharp sword all the time.”

I shrugged, “I’m a shinobi. You never know.”

“Very true,” he said, but didn’t seem convinced. I was concerned at the way he dropped ‘genin’ in the sentence. Could he suspect something? Unless it was evident I would stick with my story. Suspicion meant nothing. Even if he did, he had no proof.

“Do me a favor and wake up Sakura,” Kakashi said, “We’ve got a packed day. I’ll wake up Sasuke and Naruto.”

“Sure,” I nodded, and then left the room.

I let out a breath I didn’t know I was holding. I was tense. Not good.

After breakfast, the day consisted of exploring and training. Even though we were on a break, we were still shinobi. We couldn’t afford for our skills to drop.

“I’ve got a question,” Naruto said as we sat down for lunch. Sasuke and Sakura looked up questioningly. “Don’t tell me you’ve haven’t wondered this before. But what do you think Kakashi-sensei looks like under his mask? Has anyone ever seen him without it?”