I bob my head in agreement before re-hot wiring car.

As we drive away I can clearly see the Brandeis family crest outlined in flame against the dying, burnt lawn.

〰〰〰

I stand in front of my mirror the next morning, fixing my gear and hunting clothes so they appear somewhat formal. 

Kaien and I were both just called in by the leader of the vampire hunter's association branch we're working under, Tskune Makishima for a progress report on our findings. 

Once done primping I look into the mirror, trying to prepare myself in dealing with Makishima's terrible personality.  I nearly hit him last time.

Last time.

A small sarcastic smile forms on my lips, that's when I was officially put on this case with Kaien.  It seems to have been an eternity since then, but in reality it has been a little under a month.

I just hope it all ends soon.

"Hitomi?  Are you ready?"  Kaien calls from outside my bedroom door.

"Ready as I'll ever be."  I sigh, irritated by it all.  Nothing will come of this meeting with Makishima, it'll just be a waste of time.

Leaving my room, I meet Kaien in the living room where we leave the house to meet our taxi outside.

Once inside the taxi I lean my head on the cool glass of the window, pretending to sleep to avoid any conversation with the blond dolt beside me.  Getting pissed won't solve anything, so I might as well just not speak.

A little over a half hour later our taxi pulls up to the branch of the vampire hunter's building we're working under.  It's disguised as just a regular building, but of course Kaien and I know what it really is.

As soon as we enter the same redheaded secretary from nearly a month before guides us to Makishima's office where he sits waiting for our arrival.

Once inside, Makishima stands with a polite smile and shakes Kaien's hand.  "It is good to see you Mr. Cross." He says smoothly.

"Good to see you too, Tskune."  Kaien smiles with his usual brightness.

Makishima doesn't even flinch at Kaien's informality.

Then, Makishima turns to me, almost all pretenses drop.  He shakes my hand lightly.  "Yamaguchi."

"Sir." I nod my head respectfully, even though all I feel for this slithery, two-faced man is contempt.

"Now, please have a seat and let us talk about your findings so far."  Makishima says, sitting down and leaning back in his comfortable office chair.

Kaien obliges, taking a seat in one of the chairs in front of the desk.  I, however, lean against the wall as I prefer to do.

Once all settled, Makishima leans forward hands clasped and looking at Kaien imploringly. 

Kaien clears his throat and looks to me helplessly.  I smirk at the blond and motion for him to go on.