Chapter 39 - Judgement Day

Comenzar desde el principio

“Vampire Fremd,” he announced in a loud harsh voice, “I introduce your new Irin and Qaddis prepare to face judgement.”

Everything changed immediately.  To coin a phrase ‘all hell broke loose’. 

Scott and I stepped forward and everything around us seemed to slow down.  The vampires around Jari spun and dived in slow motion, like characters from an action movie. I almost added a soundtrack to it.  But Scott gave me a mental nudge forcing me back to the matter at hand.

I could see every vampire as they danced across the hardened dirt floor or as they launched themselves into the air.  Automatically I knew which ones were attacking and which ones were fleeing.  It was almost as if they were ringed in neon, highlighting those who were a threat and dulling out those who tried to hide.  There was no escape through the door as that was where Tur and his men stood guarding our exit, so some headed into the relative safety of the tunnels.   Several though were attacking.

Scott and I didn’t need to look at each other, our minds were one.  Silently we picked out those attacking. 

“Vampire Hoard, we come to free Archangel Jariel.  Resist us and you will be judged harshly,” I yelled out about all the sounds of fury and fear around us.

I felt Scott’s urgency.  He wanted to do this now.  I could feel him trying to pull me towards making the decision. 

I waited and watched.  I resisted Scott’s prodding.

The vampires glanced to the one who held the cup.  His eyes narrowed as he glared at us.  This time the edges of his lips definitely curled into either a smug look or a sneer of defiance.  It was difficult to tell given their oddly shaped heads.  Maybe it was both.

His head moved with a quick nod and with that their eyes snapped back to us.  They began to move towards us with purpose.  The flying ones seemed to circle gathering momentum whereas those on the ground assessed us as they stalked us.

It’s time, Natalie.

My heart was hammering in my chest.

They are guilty Natalie.

I took several deep breaths as I watched the creatures and the hate in their eyes.

They deserve death.

Death... that was so final.

Natalie remember what is at stake, Jari, our lives, all of us... they will attack humanity next if we fail.

He was right.  This was not the time to be indecisive. 

Yes.

I let my decision wash away any doubts.

Yes, Guilty then. He sounded relieved.

We reached agreement.

“We form judgement over attacking vampire fremd.  We find you guilty,” Scott’s voice reverberated around the chamber.

We lifted our entwined hands and above our heads the air began to swirl and change colour.  It flashed with deep purples, blues and greens like an impending storm.  Then with no further warning, the air cracked.  The sound reminded me of shattering fine crystal.   

I looked up to see a visible rip open in the nothingness. I couldn’t see where it started or where it ended.  It was just there.  In the centre the colours were ominous.  The edges flickered in and out of making it difficult to focus.  It was difficult to place where exactly it was and that made it nauseating – like a bad 3d movie.