Chapter 30 - It Makes Me Wonder

CHAPTER 30 - It Makes Me Wonder

“Time to get hot and sweaty, Angel!  My bedroom is the one on the left OK.  Or we could do it in the garage.  The gyms not here yet but there are a couple of mats, they will suit our purposes.” He gave me a seductive look then laughed, “Adam and Scott you can come too, as it seems that sex is a spectator sport in this house!”

“That’s enough!” Adam growled with clear annoyance, “Just do your job Aze.”

Our training started then.  Both Adam and Aze trained us and it was hard work.  The material was very similar to what we did with Jari but with two trainers and the urgency of the situation, it was much more intensive.

By late afternoon Adam brought out some refreshments and we sat on the mat and listened to Aze. 

“Welcome to Vampire one-ohh-one.” His voice was mock official and his eyes sparkled with mischief, “the definite guide to understanding the evil undead vampire.”

He laughed and then settled down in a chair to start his lecture, “So you have seen them now, you have seen the hive.” 

There's a lady who's sure all that glitters is gold
And she's buying the stairway to heaven.

Jari started to sing in my mind as Aze gathered his thoughts.  But it was soft enough to be background music.

When she gets there she knows, if the stores are all closed
With a word she can get what she came for.
Ooh, ooh, and she's buying the stairway to heaven.

“Let’s start with the anatomy.  The muscle wastes away leaving the skin and bone, all non-essential organs rot away.  They keep the brain, the eyes, the sinuses, the ear canals, and the throat.  They think, they see, they smell, they hear and they drink.”

There's a sign on the wall but she wants to be sure
'Cause you know sometimes words have two meanings.

“The blood coats the inside of the skin surface regenerating it and it feeds directly into the brain.  This is why they take on some of the characteristics of their dinner.  But we will go into that later.”

Ooh, it makes me wonder, Ooh, it really makes me wonder.

“They don’t do sunlight in this state, but if they are full with blood it will regenerate them enough to allow for short periods of exposure.  So don’t assume that you are safe in sunlight, especially with Jari on tap.”

And it's whispered that soon if we all call the tune
Then the piper will lead us to reason.

“Their movement isn’t via muscles but using tension from the skin and the ligaments.  I don’t really know it is some sort of undead thing.  They have a similar ability to the Watchers and the angels to move speedily.  I won’t go into the theories of how they came by this ability.”

Yes, there are two paths you can go by, but in the long run
There's still time to change the road you're on.
And it makes me wonder.

“Their sight and smell senses are heightened.  The brain doesn’t have much else to do so these areas that are left have been enhanced.  But they are a little like a cat with that.  Fast, sharp movement draws their attention and distract them.” 

Your head is humming and it won't go, in case you don't know,
The piper's calling you to join him,

“As for their drinking habits... I was hoping that Scott or Jari might fill us in with how this works, no one has ever been where you have been and lived to tell the tale.” He looked at Scott and smiled apologetically.