Part 2 Chapter 36

Start from the beginning

I look down at the floor, shaking my head – when I suddenly remember Dr. Ann Drysdale injecting me with a red substance.

"Maybe... maybe I did," I explain to them what happened and they both go silent as they continue to observe my skin.

"The prophecy has appeared on your back, Jennifer," Rory looks at Darrius, who nods in agreement, while I try my best to look over my shoulder and read the words. I needed a mirror.

"What's the point of that? That doesn't help me save humanity if that is my purpose," I snap.

"Yes it does, it is the correct prophecy, the right interpretation – and we've only ever had parts of it. Well that's what conspiracies suggest – now it can be proven that those conspiracies were correct. There is one more part," Rory puts his finger on it and it's on my lower back so I definitely can't see it now.

"Kill the light, kill the darkness," Darrius mutters under his breath.

"Maybe you should inform Xavier of this news," Rory suggests.

"I'll have to, Jennifer, I won't be long. Rory, look after her and I'll come back with some food and drink," Darrius leaves for the exit and I turn to see Rory trying not to laugh at Darrius' departure.

"You got him to leave easily," I state suspiciously.

"Fairies have stronger compulsion than vampires, dear Princess."

"That's great," I say, getting impatient because now I wanted to know why he wanted to be alone with me, "What did you want to tell me with Darrius out of hearing range?"

"Eddrick is ultimate darkness, Jennifer. Meredith is his opposite, ultimate light. It has always been impossible to kill Eddrick, as everyone believes him to be one with death. However if you kill Meredith, you kill Eddrick."

"You could have told me this with Darrius here," I say, "Is there more?"

"There is always more," Rory sighs and sits down on the end of the bed, "If you want to kill Eddrick so badly, and you succeed in killing Meredith, fairies will be banished back to their realm and supernatural creatures will cease to exist."

"How do you know all this?" I ask, perhaps it was a stupid question. Rory knew more than he was ever going to let on.

"I've studied this prophecy, I know my kind," there is a green glint in his eye and his teeth sharpen as he smiles, "The only way to save your precious human race, is to eradicate supernatural creatures and banish the fairies from the human realm."

"So to kill Eddrick, we kill Meredith, which in turn kills everyone I've ever cared about – to save the whole of humanity."

"No," Rory shakes his head, "Not every spell can be so unbalanced that it would have such a dark outcome."

"Then what?" I ask.

"Fairies would return to their realm and supernatural creatures would revert back to their human forms, it's that simple Jennifer," he smiles because he knew this all along.

"If Meredith and Eddrick are dead, who will 'rule' in their stead, if that's the right word, in the fairy realm?"

"Me, of course," Rory rolls his eyes like its obvious, "I told you, do you not remember? Fairies rule their lives by desire."

"Oh, but... how will fairies just accept you as their, uh, king? Lord? Or whatever."

"My mother and father give me that right of passage, dear Jennifer," Rory comes over to me and places a hand on my shoulder, pushing me towards the bathroom, "Have a shower and get cleaned up, you still have some blood on your back from my father's attempt to kill you."

Rory ushers me all the way into the bathroom before he shuts the door for me.

I just turn and stare at the door, in shock.

This whole time, Rory had not just been an undercover fairy residing in a vampire palace.

He was the son of Eddrick and Meredith!

Suddenly the door opens again and he pokes his head in to see me once more.

"Oh, by the way," Rory winks at me again, "Don't feel sad about Jay, darling, he never even existed. When I thought of this whole plan I needed to take someones form – so I chose one you knew you could trust. A familiar body and soul and all that, ha! The look on your face is priceless," he grins, shutting the door and chuckling to himself as I slowly turn towards the shower, my mind feeling numb.

Ok.

I wasn't expecting to hear that.

I get in the shower feeling light hearted, and a little bit better. This whole time, there had been a silent hero, an unseen one.

There was far more to Rory than anyone ever knew about.

***Updates every Monday***