The jump

"This is stupid."

"No it's not."

"Yes it is! So many things could go wrong."

"We'll, yeah, but so many things could go right. Plus, what's the worst that can happen?"

"Oh I dunno, that I fall to my death and die?"

"Point taken. Don't you think you should at least try?"

"Forget it Matt, I am not jumping off this building."

Matt and I are currently standing on the roof top of our apartment block, dressed in black and ready to test out my wings. Matt stands to the side, looking at me with hopeful eyes despite the fact that there is a 50 percent chance that I might die. Oh, and did I mention I'm afraid of heights? I don't even know how Matt convinced me to go up here, but here I am, about to jump to my possible death, oh joy.

I took a couple of steps, edging forward, my feet shuffling on the dull concrete beneath me. The view of the city was stunning, the buildings jutting out and casting shadows on the mass numbers of vehicles congesting the roads, the sound of horns blaring providing a painful reminder of the horrendous traffic beneath us.

The roof itself was pretty bare, a dull slab of concrete with a few air vents jutting out here and there, with a small passageway leading back down into the building, not exactly breath taking.

I took a deep breath, trying to steady my rapidly beating heart that Matt had discovered, in one of his tests, beats at a much faster rate then that of a normal human being. The wind pushed my hair back and nipped my cheeks, bringing out a rosy colour. Matt gave me a thumbs up whilst adjusting the video camera that he planned to use to 'document' my experiences. So there is a high probability that my death will be filmed. God, I can see the headlines already.

It had been only a few days since I had discovered my wings and they were constantly aching, almost begging me to use them. I had only just grasped the basics of controlling them and I don't feel ready to jump off a building.

I know I'm just wasting time, that sooner or later the inevitable would happen and I would hurl myself off the edge of a very tall building. May as well get it over and done with. Ok, I'll count to three.

One. I steadied myself and edged closer, a determined look on my face.

Two. I shuffled forward so I was standing on the edge, testing the winds and feeling it ruffle through my feathers, my wings eager and ready to go. I heard Matt click the record button on the video camera and I shot him one last glance.

Three. I closed my eyes, spread my wings and pushed off, noting the absence of the roof beneath my feet as the wind whirled around me, whipping through my hair. I opened my eyes and felt the sensation of falling, my stomach lurching. The traffic beneath me swirled into a multitude of colours, disorientating me. I snapped out of my gaze when I saw the ground rushing up to meet me. Shit.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A/N: I know it's short but I really enjoyed writing this chapter and I really hope you guys like it :) please vote if you like it and comment on what you though :) thanks for all of those who gave me tips on writing for a superhero :-D anyways, let me know what you think and thank you for reading~ Ashily101 xo