“Hey Derek, you should try out for the school’s basketball team,” Amos suggested, shoving pancake up his mouth like how a hurricane would sweep a whole town. In a few seconds, Amos had devoured all his pancakes but he looked like he could eat more.

“Maybe I will. When are tryouts?” Derek asked, wiping his mouth with a napkin properly.

“It’s today after school in the gym,” Amos grinned.

“I heard there are new people trying out and that they’re really good,” Brandon said nervously. “It’s going to be tough this year.”

“Don’t worry. I’ll be there,” Derek smiled reassuringly but I saw Brandon with a look of distaste. What was that about?

“I think we should head to school now,” I interrupted, standing up abruptly that Amos and Brandon jumped. However Derek acted normally since he was used to my outbursts.

“We are kind of running behind,” Derek noticed, checking his phone. “I need to pick up some people before heading to school so I’ll catch up later.”

“Picking up the two vampires you brought?” I asked, remembering back to Violet and the weird, perverted guy.

“What?! Mom and dad let you bring vampires into town?” Amos shouted in aghast.

“Yes, I’ve been given permission,” Derek said irritated. “They aren’t hostile in any way but I do wish to warn you about Xavier. He’s more…rough.” Without elaborating more on Xavier, Derek left.

“I don’t like the sound of this especially the Xavier kid,” Brandon gritted his teeth.

“Dude, chill. Nothing’s different. I’m sure Derek has it under his control,” Amos said, picking up his plate and mine and placing it in the sink.

“Thanks,” I smiled, grabbing my backpack.

“We should go. We’re probably going to be late,” Amos said, ushering us out.

We were, as Amos predicted, late for school but my first period teacher always came at least fifteen minutes late which gave me plenty of time. All the seats were full except one in the back corner in front of guy who was buried inside a thick book that could pass as a textbook. I hadn’t noticed the guy before but he seemed to melt in with the background, making it hard for him to stand out amongst the crowd.

“Is this seat taken?” I asked. It took about a full ten second for the guy to get out of the book and look up but I lost my breath halfway breathing. He had the most brilliant hazel eyes that were fixed on me and his unruly thatch of dirty blonde hair corkscrewed across his forehead in an attractive manner. He had rectangular glasses that shielded his eyes but he had a lean muscled shape, making it clear that he worked out a lot.

“No, it hasn’t,” he answered politely with a thick Australian accent. I took the seat and turned to him to ask a question but he was already buried in the book.

“Are you Australian?” I asked, despite his deep involvement with the book. I could tell why the girls didn’t flock around him like most guys that looked as good as this guy. He was hot but he seemed like he would rather date a book than a girl.

“I’m not Australian but I lived there during my earlier years,” the guy answered. He seemed to have a surprised look on his face but smiled faintly. “You’re new. You must be that Gracie Hainsworth girl. The one Brandon dumped Alyssa for.”

“Is that what the rumors say?” I groaned. I didn’t want there to be any more problems but problems were just naturally attracted to me.

“Well I’m not the ones to believe in rumors. I’m Jake Hartley,” he smiled again.