Part 9

*River's PoV*

We all sat in front of my dad's office silently as we waited for the Beta to get here. I looked over at Austin who had a still shaking James sitting in his lap, only instead of being spacey he laid sleeping on his mates shoulder. Austin looked up towards me like he wanted to say something but then must have decided against it because his head quickly dropped back down and his grip on Jame's tightened.

Moments later my uncle burst through the door looking angry as hell until his eyes fell to his son. At that point his face softened and he shook his head lightly before glancing in my direction. "You're needed in your dad's office." He said steadily as he walked past me and into said office.

I got up quickly and made my way in behind Steven, only to have the door shut behind me. My uncle and I took our seats across from my dad and the air seemed to be getting thicker and thicker as we all stayed silent. I didn't know what they were waiting for, either of them could have started off the conversation, and instead we sat in a tense silence for what felt like forever.

"What happened?" My dad finally asked looking at me.

I sat there for a moment awkwardly trying to figure out how to answer that. I hadn't really been in the room, this was really a question for James, Austin, or even Corey, but obviously that didn't matter because he was asking me. "Well, James and Austin had to give a presentation, and James just freaked out I guess. Corey said it was like how he was at the meeting only much more intense." I explained. "I could feel it half way across the school honestly, I'm surprised you didn't pick up on it sooner. When it got so intense somebody's sub actually started hyperventilating the dom in the relationship made the decision to pull the fire alarm."

Their gazes shifted to each other. "He just needs to mate." Steve said shaking his head. I watched as my father nodded in agreement. "It'll make him happier, he won't have to deal with heat anymore, and it would just make life easier for everyone."

"Jamie's made it pretty clear he wants nothing to do with it just yet though, or do I need to remind you of yesterday." My dad countered and I could feel the irritation level in the room raising.

"Guys," I tried interjecting only to be ignored.

"Well we need to find a way to fix that, even if Austin's straight there's no way he'd turn him down, he knows what being a mate is, he's been around a long time Alpha."

"Guys,"

"I'm not siding with Jamie because I'm worried he'll be rejected, I'm taking my stance here because I feel like Travis might be right." My dad told him, "I don't want any emotional harm coming to my nephew."

"Guys!" I practically yelled that time finally catching their attention. Their heads snapped in my direction and they both looked like they were ready to yell but before they had the chance I quickly got to the point I was so desperately trying to make. "Austin already knows."

Their mouths dropped and their eyes widened a bit for a moment before they quickly regained their composure. "How do you know?" Uncle Steve asked.

"Well," I started, "I kinda figured a while ago because he just started dropping casual hints that everyone passed off as joking, but earlier today I had told him and Corey not to touch him because right now the only people that wouldn't hurt him were his mate and the Alpha." They were both staring at me intently at this point as if this was the most interesting thing they had ever heard. "Austin just glared at me and was like 'we both know I'm on that list' and then just held him. So unless you wanna tell me that he thinks he's the Alpha, I'm pretty sure he know."

"Excuse me." Steve almost whispered. I couldn't read any form of emotion crossing his face, but I could feel the confusion and want to protect rolling off him. He left the room, leaving me and my dad sitting alone.

"I'm proud of how you handled things today." I looked up at him and smiled not expecting the compliment. "You went where you were needed most, and you took charge of the situation as best as you could. That's what being an alpha is all about son."

After he finished I didn't think I would ever stop smiling. I had been so worried about being a good Alpha lately especially with the trouble finding my mate. I felt like I could never make the right decisions, and just hearing that my dad was proud of me sent a wave of pride though me. It was something I didn't think I was gonna hear, at least not anytime soon.

The door opened again after a little while and I watched as my uncle walked in carrying Jamie like a baby with Austin trailing shortly behind him looking paranoid like Steve would drop his own son or something. There was only one seat and I watched as Steve gestured for Austin to sit, and he seemed a little hesitant but did so. My eyes almost popped out of my head when Steve leaned down and passed Jamie off to Austin.

This was something Austin probably didn't understand, but it was literally the biggest honor we had practically. When a father hands their child to their mate like that it's basically saying 'I trust you, I believe the Fates did right by my child and I'm glad they got you as their mate.' My dad seemed almost unfazed by the gesture which surprised me further, it normally wasn't until years down the line when the father finally fully gave their child to their mate like that. It's at that point where the parent basically steps aside and is like 'you take care of them now'. Sometimes it didn't even happen at all.

Austin cradled Jamie close to him and kissed his forehead, and I watched my dad smile at that before getting up and walking around his desk till he was in front of them. He then leaned down till he was inches away from Jamie's face and I could tell Austin didn't like it but he kept his mouth shut.

"Jamie," My dad started softly, "I need you to wake up," His tone was one I hadn't ever heard before. It was commanding yet soothing, and it threw me off a bit. "You're not in trouble, we just need to talk to you."