1 °

k a r a

[March 3, 2040]

"Okay but can you just tell me one more time why we moved here?" I ask again while pushing myself up on my tippy toes to grab the cereal that was in the top cupboard.

"Kara we've told you over and over again, this move is great for your mom's reporting business." Dad explains.

I roll my eyes. "I still don't know how you can just be okay with mom going out onto the dangerous streets every night just to talk about murders."

"Your mom will be fine." He pauses to look at my other siblings who were all sitting at the table. "You guys just need to disregard everything you hear about this place. This is the safest neighborhood in this city so far. There hasn't been a murder here in over 20 years"

"Whatever. But if this is your way to get a divorce, I'm not visiting you in jail." I fake smile and make my way over to the table with my bowl of cereal.

"Kara I'm serious." He tries again.

"Mhm...noted."

"Kara he's only trying to reach out to you. We know the move was hard, it was hard on all of us." My brother, Owen, explains.

He's 19 and was just starting college as a freshman when we left. How the hell could it have been hard for him?

"No. Stop right there. You guys don't understand exactly how hard this move was for me. The most popular girl in school had to move to a deadly psycho city just for her mom's job."

"Uh hello! It was hard for me too but I guess you guys wouldn't know because no one ever listens to me here." My youngest sister says as she gets up to clear her plate with a huff.

She just turned 13 so I can't blame her for hating the world right now.

The only thing is, she's very pretty. Short brown hair, light blue eyes, and the most beautiful smile I've ever seen on a person...She just doesn't think she's worth enough.

"Come on Joey let's go." My dad ushers her over to front door where she grabbed her bag and made her way out the door with him following behind. "I'm taking Joey to school then I'm going back to the hospital. I'll be back tomorrow. If you guys need anything just call. Be good I love you."

"Love you too!" Owen and I say at the same time before the door shuts.

The worst part of your dad being a world renowned neurosurgeon? He's never here.

"Where's Maddie?" My brother asks as he starts cleaning up the table.

"Upstairs probably. I'll go check on her."

Maddie is my sister, she used to be my absolute best friend. Until she just stopped.

She hardly ever spoke to me, or anyone anymore.

The move only made things worst.

I kinda feel bad because I see how hurt she was moving away but she never reaches out to anyone so I never know how to help her.

I just wish she could know how much I just want to listen to her.

I push her room door open and her head snaps from the mirror, to me.

"Hey!" I chime, hoping to set her in a good mood.

She smiles lightly at me "Hey." She whispers.

"You doing okay?" I move over to sit on the bed and watch her continue fixing her outfit.

"Mhm." She hummed.

She had wavy, dirty blonde hair and blue eyes.

I could see in the mirror that she had on mascara and a bit of red lip stain. Her naturally red cheeks made her look all tie together.

My eyes trailed down to her outfit where she had a long sleeved black shirt, a brown scarf resting on her shoulders, and light blue jeans with black boots.

To be honest she had a lot more style than me.

I had on a plain white v-neck with red high wasted shorts and white converse. My wavy, brown hair falling on my shoulders.

"Come on." I snap myself out of it. "Owen's taking us to school."

"Where's mom?" She asks as she grabs her bag and her phone off her dresser.

"She's busy at her office. Reviewing editorials and all."

"Oh okay." She looks down.

"Did you need her for something?" I ask, noticing her expression.

"No." She looks up and gives me a smile. "Just wondering."

I open my mouth to say something but she beats me to it. "Let's go. You know Owen hates waiting." She laughs but my heart aches for her.

I grab her hand as she walks past me. "Maddie if you ever need anything..."

"I'm okay, Kar. Just a little upset because of the move. But today's supposed to be fun. It's the first day at our new school. Just promise me if you see any cute guys you'll tell me." She laughs and my mood immediately gets 10x better.

She seems genuinely happy.

"Promise." I say and we both make our way downstairs to the car where, she was right, Owen was waiting impatiently.

"Ready?" Owen asks and I roll my eyes.

"Just drive."

_
(A/N) Sorry this chapter was kind of slow I just wanted to show how Kara's life is and introduce all her siblings and stuff at the same time.

It would mean a lot if you guys could vote and tell me what you think xx
_