Chapter 9

It was time for our monthly trip to visit Dad. Apparently he had a surprise for us, again. Based on how our trip ended last time he had a surprise for us, I'm guessing this won't end well. I was still tired from getting no sleep last night, but I did have time for a nap so I felt a little better. 

  I could tell Jason was worried. He didn't say much on the ride there, and when he isn't speaking, he's thinking. Usually when he's thinking, he's over thinking. 

 When we arrived at the police station, we checked in and walked down the now familiar hall. We headed into the room where we would be allowed to talk to our Dad for a few minutes. Soon after sitting down our dad came in and sat across from us. 

"Hey," my dad said to start conversation. He was not nearly as enthusiastic anymore about our trips to see him because he realized we did not look forward to them. Jason stayed silent.

"Hi," I said. My dad returned a soft smile that quickly faded.

"So how was school?" my dad asked trying to break the tension. I had no clue what to tell him because this day had pretty much sucked for both of us.

"Okay," I answered.

"Well I just wanted to tell you guys something and then I'll let you leave," he said, pausing before continuing. "I really want to make it up to you guys and I feel like your mom has done more than she needs to for me-"

"Can you just get on with it already?" Jason asked with impatience.

"I've arranged for you guys to spend part of Christmas break with Uncle Dave," Dad said.

"You what?" Jason said as his eyes grew big.

"Look, Jason, it's only for a week in a half. He'll drive you back home on new years eve for the family reunion."

"Your kidding me right?" Jason asked.

"No I'm not. Your uncle really wants to see you and he's never even gotten the chance to meet Callie," he said gestering towards me.

"And maybe it's for the better that she's never had to meet him."

"Am I even related to this person?" I finally asked.

"Yes, he's my brother so he's your uncle too," Dad replied.

"I'm leaving," Jason said standing up. He pushed in his chair and headed to the door. I gave Dad a half smile and followed after Jason. When we got to the truck I finally said something to Jason.

"You can't keep leaving him without saying goodbye," I finally said as he backed his truck out of the parking space.

"I will if he keeps coming up with these stupid surprises," Jason answered.

"Ok well maybe he thought he was doing something good for us," I replied.

"Trust me, he's not. You haven't met Uncle Dave but as soon as you do you are going to hate him," Jason answered.

"So I'm guessing this family reunion is with Dad's side of the family," I said.

"Yep."

"So how does that usually go?" I asked.

"Just be glad all of our cousins are finally over the age of six because I used to spend these stupid family reunions baby sitting upstairs until two in the morning," he said.

"They go that late?" I asked.

"No, later. I just always fell asleep by then and about thirty minutes to an hour later I would wake up with marker or something on my face and clothes."