Chapter 2

The next morning I went to meet up with Cameron. We decided to meet a the ice cream place near our middle school. It was great to think I would never have to go back into that middle school again. I definently would not miss it. Since I had missed his birthday by a week, I brought his late birthday present with me. I didn't realize until I went shopping, how hard it is to buy guys gifts. With a girl you can always just buy them jewlery, clothes, accessories, or something else along those lines. I also didn't want to just buy him a gift card or something lame like that. So I decided on a Rubik's cube, a beanie, and a gift card that could be used anywhere. Even though I didn't want to just buy him a gift card, I decided it was okay since it wasn't all I got him. I actually learned the instructions on how to solve a Rubik's cube from someone back home, and Cameron really wanted me to teach him, so that's why I gave him that. The beanie was just cheap and I figured he would wear it. 

  When I arrived at the ice cream shop, Cameron still wasn't there, so I sat down in a booth to wait for him. A few minutes later he arrived. 

"Hey," he said.

"Hey!" I said.

 Let me just say, I was right about people being able to change over a summer. Cameron was literally as tall as me now and his voice was lower than before. His face looked thinner, but his hair was the same. I must admit, he was pretty hott looking now. I couldn't believe I was actually thinking this to myself.

"You look different," I said with a nod of approval.

"You actually look exactly the same, except you have more eyeliner on," he joked.

"Yeah, and I got new shoes," I said going along with it.

"I like them," he said with a smile.

  After our short discussion, we went and got ice cream before returning to the booth.

"Oh! I almost forgot," I said pulling the package out of my bag and handing it to him.

"What's this?" he asked furrowing his eyebrows.

"Your birthday present. Well, late birthday present," I said correcting myself.

"Oh, thanks," he said as he began to open the package.

I watched closely, honestly hoping he would like the present.

"Wow thanks!" he said putting on the beanie and playing around with the Rubik's cube.

"You're welcome," I said laughing.

"Now I just need you to show me how to use it," Cameron said referring to the Rubik's cube.

"I will," I said. 

 I began to show him the first step, when my phone buzzed.

Mommy: You never texted me...

Oops.

Me: Sorry I forgot, but I made it safely. :)

Mommy: Okay. Make sure you get stuff ready for school to start.

Me: Okay

 "Hey have you gone shopping for school supplies?" I asked.

"Nope," Cameron said without taking his eyes off the Rubik's cube.

"Okay good me neither," I said with relief.

"We still have time. Do you want to go over to the Target after we finish eating? I can text my mom and ask her to take us," Cameron  replied.

"Okay sounds good," I answered.

He returned his focus to the Rubik's cube, and I began thinking. Finally I asked,

"Are you nervous for high school?" 

"Uh, I don't know. I haven't really thought about it I guess," he answered.

"Yeah, I'm a little nervous, but I figure anything will be better than middle school," I said.

"Yup," he replied.

  After I got home from Target, I finished packing my things in my new room. I was very happy about having my own room, finally. It was quite a bit bigger and had a lot of charm to it. I could tell it was once an attic that was turned into a bedroom by the ceiling. It had a roof like shape to it made out of wood and wooden walls to match. The room was dark at night, since it only had a single light bulb with a string to turn it on attatched to the ceiling. Luckily, since I remebered where the Christmas lights were, I took a couple strands and strung them aroung the head and foot of the bed frame. My bed was placed on one side of the room, a desk and chest of drawers on the other, and a window across from the door. On top of the chest of drawers was a vanity mirror. There was also a small walk in closet, which I assumed had been added on later to the attic.

  The rest of the week I got my things ready for school and settled in. Jason's mom cooked every night, which I very much appreciated since she works from six in the morning to six at night. Some nights when she got home too late and we couldn't wait any longer, Jason and I would eat snacks in our rooms. One night Vanessa came over to eat with us. She's very nice and always talks to me when she's over. 

 One day I also talked to our Dad on the phone. We didn't talk for long, but he kept going on and on about how he would be home around Christmas and would make everything up to us.

On the night before school was starting, I packed my lunch money , planned my outfit, and went through my backpack to make sure I had everything I needed. My mom told me multiple times throughout the summer that I worry too much. I guess Jason isn't the only one with a worrying problem. 

 Back to my outfit, though. I decided on a pair of high waisted shorts, a grey t-shirt to tuck in, my black sweat jacket, and, of course, my converse. Knowing I would be tired in the morning since I hadn't been getting up early all summer, I decided I would wear my hair in a high bun.

 I watched tv until about ten thirty to make myself tired. I crawled into bed at eleven and fell asleep instantly.