Chapter 6

Monday morning I searched the halls for Skylar, but I couldn't see her anywhere. I headed to my locker and grabbed my binder and such before looking for Cameron, who I also could not find. The downside of being in high school? I felt like literally everyone was taller than me, even though plenty of people were around my height. Luckily I did see Lily, so I at least had someone to talk to before the bell rang to go to first period.

"Hey," I said as I neared her. She sat at a table by herself in the outdoor part of the school. Luckily she was alone and not with other tenth graders, though I noticed, I never actually saw her talking with anyone. 

"Oh, hey, Callie," she said looking up from her homework.

"Did you not finish your homework or something?" I asked.

"Yeah I was at Landon's party. I don't even know the kid but my sister said I had to come," she replied rolling eyes.

"Oh, my brother went. It's funny, though, because he and Landon are practically enemies."

"Really? I didn't see him, but then again I don't really know what he looks like," she laughed to herself.

"What did you guys do?" I asked.

"Well, I was worrking on learning German, since that is the most commonly spoken language in Switzerland. Most people were playing this intense game of truth or dare, though. Apparently its a tradition at the quarterback's birthday party. My sister played a few rounds, but we left around nine. She said that the later it gets, the worse the truths and dares get."

"Does everyone play?" I asked, because I was not planning on ever having to play truth or dare with a whole bunch of high schoolers.

"Well it sort of depends. When someone is dared to do something then that person gets to pick the next dare and who has to do it. Luckily no one knows me so they wouldn't have bothered to pick me."

 Before we had time to talk anymore, the bell rang. When I got to English, I sat down next to Cameron's empty desk. How could Cameron and Skylar both be absent? The tardy bell rang and he didn't show. 

  After class was over, I headed back to my locker. As I undid the lock, a piece of paper fell out. I was about to open it when Lily came over to me. Quickly, I shoved the letter into my English book and gave her my attention.

 "Hey did you see if I left my homework on the table out there?" Lily asked frantically.

"No, but I'm pretty sure you picked it up. It wasn't there when I walked back by it."

"Ugh, I'm so stupid sometimes. I probably threw it away with my trash. Thanks for your help, though," she said, walking away.

"You're welcome?" I whispered to myself, wondering what she was thanking me for.

  After my next three classes, I headed to the cafeteria for lunch. After getting my food I saw that Skylar was at our usual table.

"Hey! I was looking for you this morning," I said as I sat down next to her.

"Oh sorry," she said, failing to make eye contact.

"LIsten I need to talk to you. Why are you avoiding me?" I finally asked.

"I don't want to talk about it," she said standing up.

"What did I do? We were fine at one point and then you completely just stopped talking to me," I asked.

"Nothing. Its not you," she said as she began gathering her things.

"Than what is it?" I asked, desparate for an answer.