Great Expectations

On Christmas Eve, around 1812, Pip, an orphan who is about six years old, encounters an escaped convict in the village churchyard while visiting the graves of his mother, father, and siblings. The convict scares Pip into stealing food and a file to grind away his shackles, from the home he shares with his abusive older sister and her kind, passive husband Joe Gargery, a blacksmith. The next day, soldiers recapture the convict while he is engaged in a fight with another convict; the two are returned to the prison ships from which they escaped...

Author: CharlesDickens

Rating: 10/10

Review: One of the greatest pieces of literature written, Great Expectations is a must read in every bookworm's life. I just love how much depth each character have. They may have a surface and version of themselves that they show to everyone but if you truly look inside and understand them then you can see who they truly are. There are quite a few genres present in this book - tragedy obviously being one. Romance and a subtle hint of comedy is also evident. It's a very intense book showing the different classes during that era through Pip. Pip wants to be as aristocratic as Estella but still wants to stay as the person he is which proves to be a challenge for him. A perfect book with a whole bunch of complications and drama but definitely a Bucket List Book. 

COMPLETED