Chapter 26//Determination

~•Aphmau's POV•~

~•Weeks Later...•~

Everyday has gotten worse. Everyday, a new person disappears. It's strange. Right now, I'm in the guard station with Laurance. Ever since Cadenza disappeared, he hasn't been taking it well. He's sitting on his bed with his hands in his hair.

"I...never knew Cadenza was your sister." I said trying to change the subject a little.

"Yeah. We kinda figured it out recently. Turns out, she was abandoned by my parents and taken in by the Lord of Meteli. I guess...my parents weren't good as I thought they were." He explained. I sat down next to him. Laurance growled. "Ugh, I swear it's Zane behind all this! He's planning something, I can feel it! Don't you?"

"Well, kind of. Zane would do something like this. This is horrible though." Laurance sighed.

"Aphmau, he's killing off everyone one-by-one! And I know he is. Pretty soon, there will be no one left. Everyone will be gone. Even me." I saw a tear roll down his cheek. I hugged him tight.

"Laurance, that's not gonna happen! I'll make sure of it! I'm not going to let our love die. I won't let Zane win. We will survive." Laurance sniffed and smiled at me.

"Y-Your right. I shouldn't think ahead of things." He paused. "How many people are still in the village, anyway?"

"Well...not many. About eight, maybe. I'm about to give a speech to them so they know what's going on. You should come too." I suggested.

"I will."

"Okay, I'm going to go now." I pulled away from him and smiled. I walked out of his room and out of the guard station and walked to the plaza. There, I gave my speech. Everyone gathered there ready to listen to me. It didn't look like much

"People of Phoenix Drop, I have come to tell you about what's been going on. All of you have noticed that people are disappearing everyday. We have made predictions that it's Zane behind all of it. He's planning something for us. But don't worry. I swear on my life that I will protect us all from Zane and that we will win this! Stay strong everyone, because if we work togetherne, we can defeat Zane. We will defeat Zane!" Everyone cheered. I smiled at them.

We can do this...

~•~•~•~•~
~•Days Later...•~
~•~•~•~•~

I walked down the village hoping for everyone to come back. It was so lonely and heartbreaking that no one was left but me and Laurance. I stopped when I had the perfect view of the gates. I dropped to my knees and held my head in my knees. I couldn't help but bawl my eyes out. Everyone I loved was gone. Everyone but Laurance, at least. I heard his footsteps getting closer. He got to his knees and pulled me into a hug. I hugged back.

"L-Laurance...Laurance, I'm so s-scared!" I said.

"Aphmau, it's okay. We'll—"

"It's not okay!" I said, "it feels like whenever someone says that, something bad always happens. Zane already won, everyone is gone! You'll be next! I'll be all alone!" He stroked my hair and I continued to cry. "I-I...I don't want to loose you..."

"And I don't want to loose you too. But if we have to fight Zane, I'll put my life on the line."

"Laurance no! Please...don't..."

"I want to protect you the best I can, Aphmau. I don't care if I have to through my life away. I will do what I can to save you." He hugged me tighter.

"Laurance..."

"Hmm?"

"I...I love you...never forget that..."

"Don't worry Aphmau, I already know. I love you too." He kissed me and I kissed him back.

But that might have been the last kiss we'd ever share...