Chapter 9: The Village

---Aphmau's POV---
I waited for Laurence to wake up. It's weird how he just passed out, out of nowhere. I looked down at him and smiled.
He really did save me
Suddenly I saw his eyes open.
"H-Huh? Aphmau? Uggh my head. What happened?" He asked.
"Laurence you're awake!" I said. I explained to him what had happened.
"Wow... I really did all that!? And..." He sighed. "Aphmau, my parents were Shadow Knights. So I was born with the ability to turn and well, do "Shadow Knight things"" He said.
"Really? I never knew..." I said. Then I hugged him. "You did a good job of saving me. I would have lived a horrible life with Zane and—" I gasped. "Wait... Aren't we still married!?"
"Huh? Oh... I guess you are..." He said.
"I hope I never see that jerk again. Now... Now what?" I asked.
"Ummm... Let's try to find a village. We can't just Rome the  Forest forever." He said.

Me and Laurence walked in the forest for a while. But we couldn't find a village. Soon it became nightfall. We've been searching for three hours now.
"Laurence... Do you think we'll find a village soon? I don't want to sleep in the forest." I said.
"Yeah.... Same. But let's keep searching for a while." He said.
Suddenly I noticed a man in the forest! He had green eyes and a mask over his face. As soon as he saw us, he ran.
"W-Wait... Who is that!? Come on, let's chase him!" I said. Me and Laurence chased after the man. But we lost him soon.
"Shoot! We lost him." Said Laurence.
"Well... Maybe chasing him was a good idea." I said. I noticed some gates up ahead.
"Whoa! A village! L-Let's check it out." Said Laurence. I agreed and we waited at the gates for someone to let us in. Soon a guard with blue hair walked over to the gates. But he looked sad.
"Um, hello! Uh, can we come into your village? We need a place to stay for the night." I said.
"S-Sure... But we have no lord. Well...not anymore." Said the guard.
"Oh... I'm so sorry to hear that." I said.
"Nah, it's fine, really. Here,  I'll let you guys in." The guard opened the gates.
"Thanks!" Said Laurence, "But wait... May I ask what the name of this village is?"
"Very well, welcome to Phoenix Drop."

Xx

We woke up in Phoenix Drop next morning. It was a pretty nice village! It had gates and a long path leading to the village. And you could see a guard tower in the distance. It also had a huge wheat field and a barn too. Up on a hill was the old lord's house. The lord must have died recently. The house looked in pretty good shape. I walked out of the guest house and walked down the street. I noticed a pink house in the neighborhood. It looked like a cafe. I stepped inside. Everything was pink. The floor, the walls, everything. Then a meif'wa with pink hair and orange eyes stepped in front of me. 
"Oh hello! Welcome to Kawaii~Chan's—" she paused.  "Ooh, looks like you're new here!"
"Yeah! Me and my friend stopped by last night." I said.
"Oh really. Well that's good to hear! Kawaii~Chan loves meeting new people!" I guess she talks in third person. Okay...?
"Heh, yeah." I said.
"Where is this friend of yours?" She asked.
"Hm? Oh. I guess he's still asleep. I can't blame him though." I said.
"Ooh! Is there something going on between you two?" She grinned.
"U-Umm... Not really." I said.
"Oh, okay! So, what would you like to order?" She asked.

When I was done eating, I walked out of the cafe. As I was about to go back into the house, I noticed that guard again. I walked over to him and greeted him.
"Hi! Umm... You're that guard from last night." I said.
"Yeah. The name's Dante." He said.
"My name is Aphmau. Are you okay?" I asked.
"Huh? Oh... I-I guess. It's just... Me and the lord were very close friends. I was the head guard of Phoenix Drop. And the only." He said.
"I-I'm sorry. I wish I could help." I said.
"No... It's really fine. Anyways, so tell me, are you planning on staying?" Asked Dante.
"I think so. Me and Laurence don't really have a choice." I said.
"Hm, so... What happened to you guys? And why were you in a wedding dress the first time I saw you?" He asked.
"It's kind of a long story." I said.
"Do tell. I have nothing else to do." He said. So I told him all that had happened.
"And... That's pretty much it." I said.
"Wow... That's quite the story if I do say so myself. I like you Aphmau. You're a nice person." He said. Is he hitting on me? I thought.
"Um, thanks!" I said.
"We don't have that many people here in Phoenix Drop. So please stay. And... We're trying to get a new lord soon. I'm thinking if you could be up for the job." He said.
"W-What? But you don't know me! What if—" I began.
"After the story you told you seem like a person to be fit as a lord. So... If you want to." He said.
"I'm not sure..." I said.