Happy New Year, Happy Birthday

"Huy, advance happy birthday, ha?", Je said before we separated after the Kapuso Countdown to 2016 concert. I smiled after checking my phone but I suddenly but my lip when I read her text. "PAULAN pa more." I was deciding between just sending a text back or calling her. I chose the later. After all, this will be our first conversation after she arrived. After three rings, she picked up.

"Hey.", she said after sighing.

"Hey, Happy New Year.", I tried making my voice lively.

"Happy New Year." she answered but I can feel that she's anything but happy.

And so I bit my lip and said, "Sorry."

She sighed. Another sigh. And then, "Happy New Year, Tisoy!", she loudly said. And I can hear laughters on the background.

"Are all of you still not sleeping yet?" I curiously asked.

"Hm. We're still unpacking but then we saw you on TV and.. Haha!" she shyly confessed.

Thinking that her Tatay and Nanay were watching me made me flushed but hearing her shy confession made me so happy I didn't realized I was smiling broadly.

"We're about to go home now. You gotta, sleep, babe. See you, tomorrow." I said while trying to hide my smile.

"See you." she said an d I can hear Dean, Coleen and Ate Niki mimicking her that earned a shush a from Maine. I laughed hearing that. "Oh, you think it's funny?" she asked.

"They sound funny, babe." I honestly answered.

She did a snorting sound and I laugh. I knew she's gonna hang up and so I said, "I missed you big time, Nicomaine Dei Mendoza Faulkerson." And I smile grew wider upon hearing her gasp. "See you tomorrow, love. Have a good sleep."
She didn't answer and just ended the call.

Later that night, before going to sleep he saw Coleen posted a pic of her, phone still on her ear, her right hand covering her mouth and her eyes looking so round and big, with a caption of "Meng's Happy New Year" I smiled and tried to sleep so it'll be tomorrow already.