Tears

Prologue
It hurts. It hurts so much.

She was just standing there. Seemingly unaware that tears are already falling. I stopped the urge to wipe her tears for her. I stopped this deafening shouts of my heart to hug and console her. I, just, stood firm. Doing my best to remove my eyes on her and looked at our shoes instead, but it doesn't help that we were wearing "our shoes". I stopped the flashback of our memories which seemed to be on autoplay today. I tried looking away from her. I tried but all it took was to hear the sound of her cry and I failed.

Anyone can feel the tension. The air felt too tight. It's as if he's in a courtroom defending his life.

"Do you know why we asked you to be here?" Tatay asked.

"No, po, Tatay." he answered while fidgeting with his fingers.

"We want you to stay away from our daughter. I want the best for her and the you now, isn't it.", Nanay said while looking straight at his eyes.

He felt his face flushed and then he suddenly felt too weak. He was silent for a while, then he smiled.

"I know that, Nay, Tay. I know. I'm sorry if I'm not the someone you've dreamed of being with her. I am really sorry." He sincerely said while tears were falling.

Tatay stood up, patted his shoulder and left. Nanay soon followed but not after giving him a light hug.

"Love, are you free later? I need to see you." He said without even saying hello after she picked up the call.

"Is there a problem, hon? Are you okay?" She asked, worried.

He laughed, a nervous one that she could always identify and so her heart started beating fast. She was worried but at the same time glad since it was the first time he asked her out. It was the first time. The first time, but she's scared that it'll be the last, too. But despite, the worry, she did her best to be beautiful that night. Only to be told by him that her parents had asked him to stay away from her. It hurts. And she couldn't say nor do anything but cry. She knows him, too well. He won't go against her elders, not because he's scared of them but because he knows how much she loves and respects them. For once, she wants him to be a bad guy and fight for her. For once, she blamed herself for being a good daughter and showing him how much she loves her parents. For once...

A tight hug brought her out of her reverie. And when he whispered something to her, more tears fell... but this time she was hugging him back and whispering something to him too.

Epilogue
It hurts. It hurts so much.

"I'm sorry if I'm not the kind of guy you wished to be with her but, Tay, Nay, I may not have all the riches in the world, or I may not be able to give her everything she wants, there's only one thing I could promise you. I, standing in front of you, will always love her till the last breath I take. That I will make her happy in every way I can. And that I will strive harder so I can give her the kind of life she's worthy of. I've got not much but I'll offer her my heart and life." He sincerely said.

Tatay and Nanay then burst laughing after his speech and then told him that they were just testing him. Both thanked him loving their crazy daughter that much and for fighting for her despite how awful her attitude sometimes is. They thanked her for caring for their timid and yet makulit na anak. They thanked him for coming into her life.

He then felt tears falling down his face which made Tatay and Nanay laugh before leaving him alone in the room.

"Nakakainis ka!", she said while hitting his arm. "You could've told me that first! Instead you really should make me cry?!?" She angrily asked while pinching his cheek.

He was just smiling all throughout her outburst and then he pulled her to him and hugged him while whispering...

"I love you, Nicomaine Dei Capili Mendoza, soon to be Faulkerson." which made her laugh then hit his back.

The End