sixteen

phil

After a long, sleepless train ride, I finally arrive in Manchester. While it feels good to be back where I used to live, I'm still a little on edge. I didn't leave this place on the best terms with everyone here, and so I'll be in constant fear that I will have to confront someone I left here angry at. 

There's plenty of people here who bullied me in school, as somehow my constant sunshine-y happiness was offensive to some people, but the worst of all might just be my family. I don't want to go into it at the moment, as it was not a good time in my life. Besides, perhaps they've changed. 

The train has deposited me in the downtown area of the city, and I might as well stay for now as I left home late at night and so the sun has just risen about an hour ago. I pass familiar buildings as I roam the streets of the city I once knew, and my signature smile creeps onto my face despite my crippling exhaustion. The scent of a melting pot of different neurocategories enters my brain when I breathe in, but this scent is much different from downtown London. While it may seem like all cities would smell the same, there's a big difference if you're observant enough.

My stomach growls at me, and it's then I realize I didn't eat on the train and am therefore starving. I think about where I should go for a moment, and my mind instantly goes to one place - a little bistro I used to visit called Piccolo. I'd go when I got a poor mark on an exam and Scarlett would go when she got teased particularly badly, and neither of us would go without the other. I silently hope to myself that the manager still works there, as he was the kindest soul I'd ever met.

As I start toward the bistro, though, my phone starts to vibrate violently in my pocket. I take it out and see that Lotus is calling me, and so I answer.

"Hello?" I say into the receiver.

"Hey, Philly, long time no see!"

"Technically I can't see you right now, so-"

"Don't pull that shit with me. Anyway, Alaska and I were wondering if you would like to come with Dan over to our new flat for a few days. We're finally out of hotels and moved in and we miss you."

"Lotus, I totally would, except I just arrived in Manchester for a week to visit family. I'd love to visit soon after I get home, though, and I'll keep you posted. I might need you to entertain me, though, depending on how boring this trip is."

"Alright, I will. Is Dan with you? How is he?"

"Dan, he's... back at home. I'm worried about him, too. He doesn't seem to like the idea of being away from me, and I'm scared as to what he might do. Can you check on him, maybe? Just call him in a few days."

"Will he know it's me?"

"I put your number into his phone."

"Alright, I'll try. What're you up to, then?"

"About to walk into a little bistro I used to go to up here. Me and Scarlett would sit in here a lot when we had bad days, and hopefully this place will help me take my mind off Dan a minute. Can I call you back later?"

"Course, Philly. Have fun!"

"You too. Love you, babe." I press the end button just as I get to the front door and push the handle of the modest, traditional French bistro just the way I used to when I was a teenager, pulling my rolling suitcase behind me. A blast of warm air hits me in the face in contrast to the nippy March air, and I can already smell the pastries and savoury meals I once so loved. The look of the place, just the same as it was the day I left, brings a smile to my face. 

I approach the counter and am greeted by a pretty female face, happiness evident in her dark brown eyes. A subtle sense of familiarity hits me, and so I try to take her in and try to recognize her without being too obvious. The woman is shorter than me, although she seems to be at the average height for a female. She is well built, with beautiful curves on her hips as well as the part of her thighs I can see. When I see her, I swear I saw her sepia brown skin tone once before and thought it complimented her very well. The woman smiles and welcomes me to the restaurant, and her black hair curled into ringlets bounces as she moves her head.