"Jared, I can handle this myself," I warned, not wanting him to get involved. Why did all of the guys this I couldn't take care of myself? "Don't concern yourself over this, okay?"

"I'm going to talk to him one way or another, Katie," Jared replied without hesitation. "Nobody treats my little sister like a piece of shit and doesn't pay for it."

As if on queue, my phone vibrated, letting me know I got a text. Carefully pulling my phone out of my pocket, I pressed the on button, illuminating the home screen.

One new message

I opened the message, aware that the boys had started a rather distasteful conversation about Reece, not caring that I was in the same room. Directing my eyes back to the screen, I read the text, instantly spiking my heartbeat as I read the text over and over to make sure I was seeing correctly.

Reece <3:  I'm in the lobby, you ready to talk?

What?!

Me:  Now?! When did we agree on now?!

The boys were oblivious to the nervous tapping of my foot on the soft rug beneath my heels.

Reece <3:  I figured you wanted to get this over with, can I come up now or what?

My whole leg was now bouncing in place. I glanced at the boys from under my lashes, seeing if they could somehow detect my edginess.

Me:  Stay downstairs, I'm coming down in a sec. Wait for me by the elevators.  

"Who's that?" Jared questioned, shoving his head between my face and the screen. I quickly shut my phone off, shoving it back into my pocket frantically as I stood up abruptly.

"Just a- a friend," I stuttered, not wanting to make him suspicious. Suddenly I had all six pairs of eyes on me, looking doubtful as ever.

"Really...?" Louis asked questionably with a raise of his eyebrows. 

"Who?" Jared asked further.

"Just a friend," I answered again, backing towards the flat doors. "I actually forgot I have a - um, a thing... with a friend," I stuttered, trying to feel my way along the apartment walls and make my way to the entrance hallway.

"Wait, where are you going?" Niall asked curiously with a worriedly glance.

"Yeah, I mean no offence Katie, but you don't really have any friends in England. You just moved here," Louis said with a quirky smile, obviously not having a filter as he spoke what was on his mind.

"I actually do happen to have friends, okay?" I replied, acting offended. I was now in the hallway entrance, ready to make my way to the doors. "I met some girls before, they go to the same Uni as me. Now if you'll excuse me," I broke off, quickly making my way upstairs to throw on some jeans and a tee shirt before jogging back downstairs and towards the doors.

"But I just got here!" I heard Jared yell from the living room. 

"I'll be back soon!" I yelled, opening the doors. 

"Katie, wait-" I heard Niall yell.

"Bye! I'll call you later!" I shouted before quickly shutting the door and sprinting towards the elevators. 

"Shit shit shit shit," I muttered under my breath, frantically hitting the lobby button as I bounced on my feet. Why was Reece here now?! I wasn't ready! I didn't get a chance to prepare myself! What was I even supposed to say?! What is anyone supposed to say to their ex boyfriend who cheated on them?!