"We don't know what you saying," Aubrey shook his head. "This is America, can you please talk in American?"

The guy sitting in front of us with the long, curly hair turned around. "I think you mean English man. But she called us bitches and told us to sit down."

"I know what I said." Aubrey scrunched his face up as he looked up at Ms. Rodriguez. "So we bitches now?" he asked.

"Mr. Johnson please calmese."

Aubrey sucked his teeth. "Lady, what are you saying? Don't none of us know what you saying, that's why we sit here going crazy everyday. If you taught like you're getting paid to do we wouldn't be acting a fool everyday."

"Every time I try to teach y'all start hablando y hanblando y hablando and you won't stop hablando." 

Everybody groaned once they heard her say that. I honestly can't even tell you what she just said but I'm thinking she said something about everybody talking a lot, since that's the only thing we come to this class to do. She never gives us work and doesn't even try to calm us down so I don't know why she's making a big issue about this.

"So teach us then," one of the hood rat girls from the back yelled out.

Ms. Rodriguez smiled widely and raced over to her desk to grab a stack of papers off of it. She began passing the papers out to us and my eyes widened once mine landed on my desk. It was a paper with different Spanish phrases and numbers on it. The only words I recognized were 'Hi' and 'Bye'.

"Alright class," Ms. Rodriguez began, "this is a paper with different Spanish phrases on it to help jump start you guys into this school year with Spanish. It's a great way to get you equipped with this language that will get harder and harder as the school year goes on. So, please pick up your papers and repeat after me. Hola. Hi."

"Hola," the class repeated. "Hi."

"Whole-A," Aubrey repeated afterwards. "Hi."

"Ropa. Clothes," Ms. Rodriguez stated.

"Rope," Aubrey replied.

"Carpeta. Folder."

"Carpet," Aubrey replied.

"Constipado. A cold," Ms. Rodriquez said before the class repeated after her.

"Constipated," Aubrey said, making Ms. Rodriguez sigh.

"Mr. Johnson, if you aren't going to participate in my class correctly then don't participate at all."

"I'm tryna participate but I'm Black. I don't know Spanish."

"Well if you stop trying to be funny then you'd learn something," she told him before looking around the class room. "Now, does anybody in here know any words in Spanish?" Aubrey raised his hand, making her sigh again. "Yes Senor Johnson?"

"It's Mr.," Aubrey corrected her, "but el stupid and el idiot."

Aubrey made the entire class laugh when he said that, even Ms. Rodriguez laughed too because she knew it was too. I don't know what had Aubrey joking around today but it's good seeing him smiling since I haven't seen him laugh or smile in awhile. 

"Thank you for your input Senor Johnson but those are definitely not in Espanol. Does anybody else know any words?" she asked, looking around the classroom once a few people raised their hands.

The guy sitting in front of us with the curly hair turned around. "So, what happened to the two of y'all? Y'all got in a car accident or something?"

"Something like that," I replied. I didn't need all of these kids up in my business, especially when I don't even know this guy.

He nodded his head. "Oh, well I'm Armando."