Chapter 16

Me and George were now back in the car driving to where the hell ever he wanted to. We had been on the move for about 15 minutes and since the incident at the restaurant he hadn't spoken a word to me. Instead, his fists were clenching and unclenching tightly on the steering wheel, his face holding a tight frown from obvious anger. I couldn't watch him in this state much longer so leant my hand over, placing it on his leg.

"George" I mumbled.

I expected him to remove my hand from his lap as he told me to back off like he usually did in situations like this but instead, he did quite the opposite. I looked down as he removed a hand from the steering wheel and slipped his fingers through with mine, connecting them together and holding on tightly, his thumb rubbing across the top.

I noticed the calmness that was now beginning to surround him, his whole body had relaxed and the frown disappeared into a look of thought.

"Be my girlfriend" he ordered out quickly, taking me by complete surprise.

I turned my head to look at the side of his, completely gobsmacked by his 'demand'.

It must have been a good 3 minutes before I made any kind of reaction to show I was still there, down on earth with him.

"W..w..what?" I questioned, unsure if I had actually heard him right.

I was expecting him to give me an answer, repeat what he had said before and give me some kind of explanation, but he didn't. Instead, he picked up speed a little bit, eyes focused on the road ahead, not letting my hand go. He caught site of a pull in at the side of the road, pulling in before coming to a stop, taking out the keys and turning his whole body around the face me. I suddenly felt nervous under his scrutinising stare.

"Be my girlfriend" he breathed. "Please"

I couldn't believe my ears right now, George badass Shelley who this whole town either feared or hated, the badass Shelley that had done nothing but cushion me under his arm for the past few weeks keeping me out of any harms way, was asking me to be his girlfriend, just like this.

"George I..."

"Look, I get it... this is weird. I just, you mean more to me than I ever thought you would. I was never meant to meet you in person, never meant to get this close because it wasn't the safest place to go about it for you. But, things have turned out the way they have and I am starting to realise that maybe this is the way it's meant to happen, life changes a lot and you have to roll with it. Jo... I mean people don't know what things are going to be like a few years on from their life, so they request things to fit the time, but when things change you have to move with them." George continued to spill a number of words from his mouth that were not making any sense to me what so ever. However, I just listened, content to seeing him actually spill his emotions for once. "Basically what I'm trying to say is, I'm shit at this whole relationship thing. I haven't been in many because to be quite honest I'm a dick, I don't know what it's like to commit to someone, I don't know what it's like to love someone but when I'm around you, you make me feel like I'm learning. Isabella, please... be my girlfriend. Ill prove to you I can do this. I want to be the one to protect you and keep you from harm, I want you, I want you to be mine, only mine".

I was sat staring at George completely shocked to say the least, small tears were beginning to form in my eyes from the words he had just formed into a sentence. This, was a different side to George I had seen before, he had a soft spot, he had feelings behind that hard shell he held up before him. I had known the second time we kissed there was something there, there was something quite special about it and him that made me feel safe and protected, something that should be key in a relationship.