Before the Legend by JonastheScribe

28 July 2013

Q1. What's the name of the book?

A.  Before the Legend

Q2. What is the genre of your book?

A.  Historical/Alternate | Short Story

Q3. What gave you the idea for your book?

A.  I had originally started the story when the main character was 14 in the story "Roman Identity." However after the original story, was lost and needed to be reworked, I decided to give a backstory of Troy's life when he was 4 to show how past events have shaped the character. 

Q4. Is your book R-Rated?

A. No

Q5. Can you give a summary of your book? 

A.  Taking place on a fictionalised island called Aegea, barely anyone from the outside Roman world knows much about the island let alone its existence. But for Troy, the youngest son of the king, that is the only world he knows. After a frightful nightmare, the 4-yr old suddenly finds himself questioning the once safe and nurturing environment which he lives in. How do you tell a 4-yr old about love? How do you prepare him for loss? In the next three days, Troy is about to get his answers to those burning questions when his world flips upside down! 

Q6. Why do you believe it is a good read?

A.  There are several things that set this story a part from a lot stories even amongst historical stories. It's written from a young fresh perspective of a 4 year old boy which makes it an insightful and engaging read. What readers will find unique is that the story is not bound by conventions of typical categories or conventions but creates a world, although different in some respects, something a reader can relate to as well as believable characters. It's a story filled with heart and although it chronicles just 3 days of the character's life, will leave you wanting more!

Q7. What would you like to say to those who read your book?

A.   I would say this is a work I'm very proud of which is why I hope to self-publish it later this summer if not early fall. I appreciate the feedback from those who read my work because it definitely motivates me to keep writing and keep on improving as a writer. As regards the book itself expect an earth shattering climax that will rock the island to its core!

Click the external link to go straight to the interviewed story.