17| ''Welcome to the family''

Start from the beginning

'Who made these seating arrangements?' I managed to hiss at Pixie when I felt familiar ice daggers digging into my forehead. I knew it was Anastasia without looking, I wasn't the only one unhappy with our spots.

Apparently, my attempt at subtle hissing wasn't good enough and Blaze leaned over. Stilling me with eyes that flared up slightly when they met mine, 'Trust me, I don't want to be here either'.

I narrowed my eyes at him once before the clinking of glasses sounded and Uncle Edmund stood up from his spot opposite of mine.

The noise under the ginormous tent died down and I watched my uncle smile before raising a glass, 'Welcome everybody to the annual engagement party. We'll be revealing some wedding dates as well as some new to-be-wed couples of this year. As tradition would have us do, we should begin with the Lionfield brothers,' he inclined his head at a bored looking Jett and a wide eyed Nathaniel before he turned to me, 'but, my niece has finally joined us in Metaine. Keira, will you please stand up?'

I widened my eyes, shaking my head once before Pixie started pushing me, her small hands against my elbow until I looked at her and she hissed, 'Get up'.

Still slightly frazzled I managed to stand up, flushing red when people started clapping and murmurs of 'welcome to Metaine' could be heard throughout the tent.

'As it happens, Keira will be turning eighteen in a week, and as tradition would have it, it'll be the perfect age to announce her engagement,' my uncle winked at me, apparently unaware of the sudden world war III that had erupted in my brain. Before I could splutter out however, he was already continuing, 'It is with great honour today that I can say that the van der Laine's will finally be joining bloodlines with the proud Fyr line'.

And as if the world seemed to slow down, the man beside me stood up slowly when Uncle Edmund nodded at him, 'Blaze Fyr, welcome to the family'.

All throughout the tent it echoed, 'Welcome to the family'.

And when I dared to look to my right, it were bright burning flames that bored into my soul, 'Hey fiancé'.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

The announcement was successful for three seconds before all hell broke loose.

Anastasia had sprang up like she was suddenly stung on her åss by a red hot poker, 'NO'.

Her parents, I assumed they were by their cold eyes and light hair, looked horrified by her behaviour. And then Sorcha's voice sounded, somewhere on the other side of the tent, her eyes wide, 'Are you fücking kidding me?'

I barely had the time to realise that Vincent's arm was around her shoulder when Nathaniel stood up, Tommy whining when he got given back to his mother, 'What is the meaning of this, Edmund?' he questioned.

My uncle was entirely unaware of the intricate workings of Elessar Prep and he looked like a deer caught in headlights as all heads swung in his direction.

'Anastasia, sit down,' Jett started calmly and when I caught his eyes they were blank, devoid of emotion.

His fiancé turned to him, and for the first time, I saw tears glisten in her usual ice cold eyes, 'You don't get to tell me what to do'.

'Anastasia, for goodness sakes, do as he tells you to,' the woman presumed to be her mother started, her voice as cold as ice.

Anastasia stared at me, her body shaking before she raised one manicured finger at me, 'Blaze can't marry that... that... tramp! She kissed Jett!'

Collective gasps sounded from all the guests before the attention was diverted to me. My mouth had fallen open at this sudden accusation and even Nathaniel was staring at me, his face in a pained expression.

'What- What-' I started before something blurted out of me that I had never meant to say, 'You're talking about me? You were the one sleeping with Blaze!'

This time, the collective gasps were paired with loud mutterings and Mrs. Frost looked so pale she seemed ready to faint. Despite it all, everyone at the table seemed to have sprang up from the sudden revelations, even the pale looking Mrs. Frost, who seemed to be shaking in her small dress, she looked at her daughter, 'Is it true?' 

When Anastasia didn't reply, her face turned even whiter. 

Jett seemed to be the only one who was still sitting, even when Anastasia looked down at him.

The silence in the tent was a deafening sound, not even children made a simple sound, as we all waited for Jett's reaction. And then it was suddenly there, all of it.

He was laughing.

Like a maniac.

He shook in his chair, hands on his face. If I didn't know Jett well, I would've thought he was sobbing into his palms. Tears were coming from in between his fingers but the loud bouts of laughter that escaped were enough to convince us otherwise.

'How is this funny to you?' Anastasia managed, seeming slightly relieved that her fiancé wasn't as mad as she thought he would be.

Nothing could be more wrong the moment those words left her lips. With one single question, Jett had stopped moving and when his face came from his hands, he finally stood up. And for the first time, I watched Anastasia's face blanche in fear, and she fell down back into her chair.

'Disgusting,' he managed, his voice so quiet but yet so hateful that the hair on my back stood up. Even the candles added on the tables seemed to hear him - their flames immediately smothered. 'Frosts,' he managed, and when he turned to the family, I watched how they shrank away from him, 'my bloodline will not be tainted by that of yours. The engagement is off'.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

The party had ended early, and as I watched people pile into their cars, I wrapped my blanket tighter around me.

What had I done?

The severity of the situation had been explained to me by Pixie.

Without the Lionfields, the Frost bloodline would die out for they had only given birth to daughters. The eldest daughter, Isobel, had been engaged to Daniel but had fallen ill ever since his death. Anastasia was originally to be given to Nathaniel but Nate managed to conceive a son with a lesser bloodline; Leila Rosewater. Leila was half nymph and half human, and with a son, Nathaniel was not a compatible suitor.

The only son left for the Frosts was Jett, but since Anastasia had slept with Blaze, there would be no way the Frosts could try to wed their daughter to a Lionfield. When a female Elrioud gave away her virginity, she was bound to the family line of the man she had given it to. Anastasia was a Fyr now, even though she had wished to cover it up by being married to Jett.

Now, the Frosts would never be part of the Elrioud anymore, they had fallen to lesser bloodlines.

Now, the Lionfields and the Clairmonts would fall from their Elrioud status for there was no other female Elrioud family they could wed.

Now, the Elrioud would be no more.

And it was my fault, with my big mouth.

'Keira,' my uncle's voice sounded from behind me and I cringed when I turned around.

'Yes?'

'Please come with me,' he said simply before he turned on his heel.

I gulped once as I followed him down the stairs and through the hallway.

It wasn't until the garden door opened and one rough hand shoved me into a car, that I started to realise something was wrong.

But before I could ask or scream for help, something was clamped over my mouth and everything turned to black. 

A/N: Jeez, that was one big piece to stomach. Vote and comment if you likey! What do you think will happen next to poor Keira? Love, J.