Serenaded Sunflowers: Chapter 8

Chapter 8 of Serenaded Sunflowers

Luke’s POV

Ugh, I hated this class with a passion. You know that guy from those Visine commercials? Well, as far as I know, my professor was that guy’s long lost twin. Economics is already a boring subject to learn, but to have a teacher with such a monotone voice who spoke at the speed of a handicapped turtle; it took all of my willpower not to just drop my head on the desk and journey to Dreamland. My eyes drooping every five seconds, I tried my hardest to copy down the notes hidden in his lecture, which were guaranteed to be on my next exam. These were the times where a genie in a bottle would come in handy, and rescue me from this boredom.

After a long, painful, excruciating 45 more minutes, he finally released us from his class, or as I like to call it, hellhole, and I bolted out of that room like a flash of lightning. As I looked up, I saw that the sky was streaked with lines of clouds and strong winds breezed past me every few seconds. I’ll admit that it was a nice change to have cold weather, but damn I missed Florida. The soft grains of beach sand in between my toes, rays of sunshine beaming down on me as I played football with my boys, what I wouldn’t do to be there right now. But it wasn’t just the weather I missed. 2 months didn’t seem like a long time at first, but I missed my family so much. Being in Danni’s room playing tea with her dolls and listening to my mom drone on and on about my dad’s bad snoring seemed like a great idea right about now. But, there were only two more months until Christmas break, and soon I would be back at the place that I loved.

I guess I was in too much of a rush to get out of there, because I bumped into a hard chest and stumbled back a few steps. Only, when I looked up at the person’s face, I was kinda happy that I did bump into them. Timothy Richmond, the douche bag of all douche bags. As every hockey practice went on, my hate for him grew more and more. He was the epitome of the typical asshole jock that girls adored and guys looked up to. His jokes were disgusting, his attitude was annoying as hell, and not to mention he had an ego the size of Texas. Ugh, what I wouldn’t give to just give him one good punch right in the face.

“Finally! I thought I was going to have to wait out here forever,” he sighed overdramatically.

“What are you talking about?”

“I’ve been waiting out here so I could talk to you.”

Why would he want to talk to me? I’ve never made an effort to talk to him and he sure as hell hasn’t either. I wanted to stay as far away from this kid as possible.

“It’s pretty obvious that you and me don’t get along, so what in the world would you want to talk to me about?”

His nose flared out and he narrowed his eyes slightly, which caused a smirk on my face, lad that I could so easily get under his skin.

“Look here, rookie, I don’t want to be talking to you either, in fact I would rather kill myself. I just came to invite you to a party tonight.

Either I was completely stupid or this guy made no sense. If he didn’t like me, why would he invite me to a party? The only reason I could come up with was that it was a front just to humiliate me, which was highly likely of him. I doubted him whole-heartedly at this moment.

“Okay, why don’t you stop with all the bullshit and just tell me the real reason why you’re here?” I had my arms crossed over my chest, a smug expression on my face while his was of pure anger, which made me smile inside.

“I wouldn’t invite you to a party if my life depended on it. But, unfortunately this time it’s a tradition to have you there. Every year my fraternity has a hockey party a week before our first game, and the whole team has to be there. So, as much as I don’t like it, you have to be there.”