Serenaded Sunflowers: Chapter 1

First story on Wattpad!!! nervous as to what you guys will think!!! i hope you like- no scratch that i hope you love it!!! -khyra

Chapter 1 of Serenaded Sunflowers

Santiago's POV

            I couldn't believe it was finally here.  I was graduating high school today.  It never really sunk in until now, when I was looking at myself in my cap and gown. Being the perfectionist that I was, I had to make sure that every single detail of today was perfect.  My brown, usually curly hair was perfectly straightened, coming down past my shoulders, almost to the center of my back.  My makeup was flawless, simple but it still made my brown eyes sparkle.  My strapless green dress underneath my gown and my white peep toe heels coordinated with the colors of my school, green and white. 

            I looked at myself once more in my full length mirror before heading out of my room.  I knew that as soon as I got down the stairs that I would be bombarded with the flashing of my mom's camera.  But, I was her youngest child, her "baby", so I kind of expected it.

        Bombarded isn't even the right word for what happened to me when I took my last step of the stairs.  Picture after picture, pose after pose, and smile after smile.  The constant flashing of my mom's camera in my eyes was going to make me blind someday.  I just really wanted to get to the auditorium where our graduation was being held.  One, because who doesn't want to graduate?  Two, because I needed to get away from my crazy maniac of a mother.  And three, because I craved to see that face that always made the butterflies in my stomach go on high alert.  My high school sweetheart, my best friend, my love, Luke Sanders.

            He had all of my heart wrapped around his finger, and there was no place I'd rather it be.  Two years filled with happiness, love, and some of the best times of my life.  Not to mention that he was amazingly gorgeous.  His midnight black hair, emerald green eyes, 6"1' chiseled body. He was just amazing and really good to me.

            "Santiago Rosario Hernandez," my mom screamed, interrupting my thoughts.  "If you don't get your butt out of this house right now, I swear I will leave without you.  I've waited 17 years for this moment and you will not make me late for it!"

            "I'm coming, I'm coming," I said, rushing out the front door and hopping into the passenger seat of the car.  Selena, my sister, was already in the backseat, smirking at me.

            "What?" I asked, turning around in my seat.

            "Oh, nothing.  I just know that Mom was probably giving you hell in there.  And, it's nice to finally see my baby sister graduate high school," she smiled.

            I smiled back at her and turned around again.  My mom got into the car and sped out of the driveway.  Before I never knew my mom as such a speed demon.  She was doing at least 65 in a 30 mph zone.

            "Mom?" I asked cautiously.

            "What, Santiago?"

            "Why are you driving so fast? We have plenty of time."

            "You know that there aren't any good seats unless you get there early," she said, almost in a duh- tone. 

            "Yes, mom, I know that.  Just please slow down.  You're freaking me out," I huffed.  Selena immediately started cracking up in the backseat, rolling over in fits of laughter.

            "What's so funny?" I asked her.

            "Nothing, you just said that so funny. 'You're freaking me out'," she mocked me.