Runaway Princess

"You look happy this morning, Allura." Hope says as she helps me do my hair.

"I'm in love." I say happily as I close my eyes.  "It's a wonderful feeling...."  I hear someone knock on the door and we both turn to see Alvar standing there.  Hope doesn't say anything as she finishes my hair.  "Thank you Hope." I say as she leaves the room.

"You do look happy this morning." He says as he surveys my outfit.  I am wearing a white blouse underneath a leather dress that falls just above my knees.  My black boats come up to my knees and my hair is braided and styled in the back.  "My little warrior."

"So I look ok?" I ask as he leads me downstairs.

"Why wouldn't you?" He asks and I shrug.  "I am only riding with you because it would look less suspicious than riding in a large group." I smile at the thought and I didn't have anything to fear from the rebels.  "What?"

"Nothing." I laugh but it was cut short when I see the elders.  They watch us closely and I feel myself go back into princess mode.  "I'm ready to leave." I tell them as I approach.

"You don't look like a princess." Elder Samson says and I nod.

"The point is to make Allura look like a normal warrior not a princess.  It will be easier to get her to Baltazar safely."  Alvar explains and finally the elder's let me go.  Alvar is held back while I go around the corner to wait for him.

~*~*~*~*~*~

"I never thought I would like riding a horse so much." I tell Alvar as we emerge from the forest.  "I always hated riding as a kid."  Alvar has seem worried ever since the Elders held him back to speak to him.  I haven't been able to find out what they said but it's worrying me.  "Alvar?" 

"Sorry princess." He replies and I feel a scowl go across my face.

"What did they say?!?" I demand as I stop my horse.  He doesn't look at me.  "As your princess, I demand you tell me!"

"They know what my intentions are and they said that I have no chance of marrying you.  Regardless how you feel or don't feel about your arranged marriage, you will have to comply."  It seems to pain Alvar to say it and my heart breaks.

"It's my decision not theirs Alvar." I say as he pushes us on.  "I'm not some puppet in their games and I'll marry the person who loves me not the one who treats me like an object in his game.  We'll figure this out."  I assure him.

"I'm not so sure, Allura.  They could easily destroy my kingdom and then I wouldn't be a prince." 

"And I'm the chosen one." I say as we get on a road.  "It's not something that they can ignore.  I've read enough books and the revolution always dies without it's spark." I see a small cottage off of the road and I slow down.  There's a bunch of children working in the field.

"Allura?" I feel someone touch my shoulder.  Alvar is watching me concerned.

"Is it like this everywhere?" I ask.  The children are trying to bring water to their crops.  He nods.  "I will fix things in my kingdom or die trying."  I say as I urge my horse forward.  We reach a small village by six.  Alvar gets one room in the small inn and we head up to it.

"You sleep on the bed." He tells me and I nod.  It's hard staying awake at this point and I lay down on the bed and immediately fall asleep.

~*~*~*~*~

ALvar's POV

Allura slept peacefully in the small bed.  I couldn't help but watch her but my thoughts kept drifting.  The elders knew about our love and they intended to destroy it.  However, the mages would agree with my pure intentions for marrying Allura.  I want to unite the kingdoms and pure magic should stay with pure.  Her bloodline should not be tainted with Lisstarian blood.

Someone softly knocks on the door and I draw my sword to answer it.  A man in a dark cloak is standing there.  "The rose never weeps." He says when I answer it.

"Owen?" I ask as I usher him inside.  Allura stirs in her sleep.

"The princess is in grave danger.  The mages have just sent word that they were attacked by strong dark magic and many of them were slain.  Rowan wants you to bring her to your kingdom."

"What's going on?" Allura is sitting up sleepily.  Her hair is falling around her face.

"Allura this is Owen.  He's been my friend for many years."  Owen bows to her as she rubs the sleepiness out of her eyes.  "We need to get you out of here." She looks at me worriedly.

"We can't have anyone recognize her."  Owen says and Allura touches her hair.

"Cut it off." She says and Owen comes over with a knife.

"I have sisters so I'll make you look like a normal girl not a princess." Owen says as Allura undoes her braids.  Her hands are shaking as she finishes.  Owen gently takes her hair in his hands and cuts most of it off.  Her brown hair frames her face but this time it only comes to just below her chin.  "There's a dress in my bag." Owen says and I pull out a dark blue dress.

We leave Allura to get changed.  She took off the warrior garb and slipped on the dress.  Tears feel down her face as she gathered her hair in her hands.  She put it on top of the clothes she wore before.  When I come back in, she's not my princess anymore. She's stronger.

"Who killed the mages?" She asks as she puts on a new cloak.

"Lisstarians."  Owen says.

"I wasn't a supporter of revenge but they will pay for killing off the only people who can teach me." Allura follows us down to the stable. It's pitch black outside, so she summons a small ball of light.  It's the first time, I've really seen her do magic.

"Ride with Alvar."  Owen tells me as he helps me onto a horse.  Alvar mounts up in front of me and I hold onto his waist.  "Ride like the wind." Owen whispers to the horse and I see magic leave his hand.

"Come with us."  I urge my friend.

"I have other duties to the people of Relaine."  He says as we run off into the night.