Moonacre

Liam's POV

Allura slept against Rowan's scales. THe dragon guards her as she sleeps and he seems almost content with the girl. The ring her finger reflects the light and catches Luis's eye.

"Who is she engaged to?" He asks as he skins a couple of birds we shot.

"My brother, Alvar." I reply. "It's foolish of him to be engaged to the Princess of Relaine especially when she is promised to another." Rowan lifts up his head and looks at me.

"It's a shame we still promise off the daughter's of royals and officials to make political alliances. She should be allowed to marry for love not for need." Luis replies and Rowan makes a purring sound like he's agreeing. "It will strengthen Pavlara for the better."

"Or destroy my kingdom. We all know that Lisstar has a horrible temper." They are the reason so many of the kingdoms have fallen over the years. I wouldn't want my kingdom to meet the same fate.

"She will change things, Liam. You just have to wait and see." Luis has high hopes for this girl but I'm not so sure. "Get some sleep. We will leave at first light." Luis won't take no for an answer so I lean against one of the trees and close my eyes.

~*~*~*~*~*~

"Good morning." I say as I gently wake up Liam. He slowly wakes up and smiles at me. "Mage Luis wants to get going." I go over to Firespeak as Liam gets ready to leave. The dragon bows to me.

"You may mount me, Moondancer." He says and I get on the dragon. "Remember that your relationship with dragons must be kept a secret. However, I warn you that dragons will see you out for help because of your connection with us."

"I understand." I whisper.

"You must always protect our kind, and we in turn will protect you." Firespeak turns his head to look at me and I smile at him. He purrs again and I hear someone saying my name.

"Rue?" I look over at Mage Luis. "Are you alright?" He asks and I nod trying to keep my emotions in check. "Rowan has taken to you. He's not usually all that fond of people." I laugh.

"I guess I just get along with everyone." The two mages mount the dragon with me and we take off. We soar up into the sky and I can't help but have my breath leave me. The ground below is filled with vast forests and small villages and castles dot the landscape. I wish I could meet everyone down below and get a feel for the world that I live in.

"We're almost there." Firespeak tells me and I feel my heart flutter in my chest. My magical training starts soon and I'm hoping I can meet more dragons. We fly into a large cave which terrifies me but within a few minutes of darkness we emerge in a hidden valley.

"Welcome to Moonlight valley." Mage Luis says and I see a castle that seems to be in shambles. Firespeak spirals down and lands in the meadow just outside the castle. "I apologize for the appearance of the school but the magic has left the lands and thus the castle has lost it's magical properties and has aged."

"What do you mean the magic has left?" I ask as he helps me off the dragon.

"At first there was magic coursing through the land since all the magical families from your realm fled persecution and came to this realm. HOwever, as years passed the magic in this land became diluted when families failed to learn the magical arts and new generations were born without magic." Liam explains. "Then the wars broke out and more magic was destroyed when the mythical beings that lived here were slaughtered in battle."

"So people don't practice a lot of magic in this realm?" The thought saddens me.

"No. " Mage Luis replies.

"Is there anything I can do?" I inquire and Firespeak starts purring.

"You can try and bring back the magic to this valley but there isn't much you can do." I feel like Liam doubts my talents.

"The rest of the mages will be glad to have a new apprentice to teach." Mage Luis motions for me to follow him inside. I follow him inside. Inside the castle the building is covered with plants but it still looks nice inside. We follow a long hallway until we emerge in a large open room with a grand staircase.

Five men in long robes are standing in a long line. Each one has a different colored robe with one of them wearing a long golden one.

"Welcome to Moonacre." The man in the gold robe says. "We're pleased to finally have another apprentice after fifty years." The man motions me forward and I approach him cautiously. He takes my hand gently and I feel myself being transported somewhere far away.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

I stand alone in the middle of a battle field. Littered around my feet are hundreds of dead soldiers and exotic animals. No tears fall down my eyes as I quietly walk among the carnage. Who could have done something like this?

"ALLURA!" A frantic voice calls and I whip around and see Alvar standing there. He's covered in blood and from this distance I can't see if it's his or not. I quickly run towards him avoiding the dead bodies around me. He catches me in his arms. "I thought I lost you." He says as I refuse to let go.

"I wouldn't have been able to live if you died." I say as tears finally fall down my cheeks.

"Is the baby alright?" He asks as he puts me down. I look down at my swollen stomach and i put a hand gently to it. I feel the baby kick. I nod and he sighs relieved. "I love you both." He holds me close again.

"The battle's done and the phoenix has won." I tell him.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~